Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My girl

Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default My girl

Pinning one down yesterday. A little blurry, she had one foot up but till I fumbled around pulling out my phone I missed the moment.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

nothing like seeing a dog do what they were meant to do!
something non bird dog hunters and people I fear will never understand and missing out on a great joy in life to boot!
Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is true. I am at the point n my life that I don't even care about shooting the birds anymore. If someone else hunting in our group want to walk up and shoot, I am perfectly happy to be back up or just to watch. We had 5 dogs on the ground yesterday, 3 setters, a vizsula and a German Short hair. When all those dogs are pointing ad backing it is a beautiful sight.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel the same way, even with deer, and other game
I enjoy taking others and seeing them be successful
but do have to admit, watching my OWN dogs(like kids to me) work on some wild birds is almost magical to me, and I almost feel bad if I DON"T shoot em if alone!, I know my dogs have given me some dirty looks over the yrs in off season when they would find some !
all them 30+ hours drives out west to find wild birds, were worth every minuet to me in the memories I have,
honestly I Look back now and wish I took more trips when I had my last dog on birds, out that way.
I can remember one time when I took a first time hunting(well trailed but first real hunt) out there and we came across a field with about 500+ rosters in it, dog looked at me with a bunch of confusion in his eye's, as just never seen that many in one spot, HAHA

I can also recall him being in a pot hole out there and having about 5,000 ducks land in front of us, almost scared him I think, as the whole sky turned black from SO many at once

as I said, the memories you make with a bird dog IMO are priceless!
Old 02-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, that look they give you when you miss hurts!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

There's just something neat about watching a hunting dog work.

On a related note, have you ever seen a video of a coyote hunting decoy dog trying to lead coyotes in close to the hunters? That's one of the coolest things I've seen.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
There's just something neat about watching a hunting dog work.

On a related note, have you ever seen a video of a coyote hunting decoy dog trying to lead coyotes in close to the hunters? That's one of the coolest things I've seen.
Never have, but I have seen a video of a "toll" dog leading ducks close to hunters.