Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Firearm for Rabbit Hunting

Old 11-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default Firearm for Rabbit Hunting

So I'm going to be rabbit hunting this upcoming winter, and the guy teaching me has a very "if it's not illegal or stupid, figure it out yourself" kind of thinking-not a bad thing, just not helpful here.

We, later I, won't be using dogs, and we'll be going through the VT woods looking for cottontails and snowshoe hare. I'm looking for two things from the animal: some meat, and relatively intact pelt. I got it in my head that I want to tan them and make one of those bomber hats with the canvas outer and the fur inner. I've currently got a .30-30, and I'm going between that and getting a 12 ga shotgun to use. Would a 150 grain reduced load, like the Rem managed recoil, to the head of the rabbit do the job without making something nasty of the meat? Or would the 12 ga with #6 shot be better/how much impact would it have on the pelt?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'd recommend a .22lr to the head.

But sometimes you have to use what you have.

I don't suppose that I would go buy a 12ga with saving pelts in mind. Rabbits have delicate fur and it rips and tears up pretty easily

-Jake
Old 11-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Spike

This is just my opinion...it may be worth what you pay for it.

If you want to save the pelt don't use the shotgun.
And,
you would be way over gunned if you use the 30-30.

A head shot with a .22 is all you need. If you don't have a .22 I would get a semiautomatic or a lever action
Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 30/30 is way too powerful for rabbits and can even be dangerous,as bullet ricochet could be a worry, as that's a lot of bullet and FPS and FT LB s of energy your firing at the ground, un known to rocks or under rabbit!

SO, I second the option of getting a nice accurate 22, or .22 mag, and take head shots when SAFE to do so,a s even a 22 will go right thru a rabbit and can hit things !

a shotgun will work for getting more rabbits,a s odds of finding a sitting one will be a LOT harder hen you think in range that is!

but a shotgun will also make a mess of hides at times IMO
Old 11-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by dontSweatTheSmallStuff
So I'm going to be rabbit hunting this upcoming winter, and the guy teaching me has a very "if it's not illegal or stupid, figure it out yourself" kind of thinking-not a bad thing, just not helpful here.

We, later I, won't be using dogs, and we'll be going through the VT woods looking for cottontails and snowshoe hare. I'm looking for two things from the animal: some meat, and relatively intact pelt. I got it in my head that I want to tan them and make one of those bomber hats with the canvas outer and the fur inner. I've currently got a .30-30, and I'm going between that and getting a 12 ga shotgun to use. Would a 150 grain reduced load, like the Rem managed recoil, to the head of the rabbit do the job without making something nasty of the meat? Or would the 12 ga with #6 shot be better/how much impact would it have on the pelt?

Thanks!
A 30-30 for rabbits! that isn't even a consideration, take your shotgun, rabbits run and shooting on the ground at a running rabbit is not a good thing to do, it is one thing of you limit yourself to sitting rabbits and head shooting them and quite another to be throwing lead at them on the run with a rifle. It sounds to me like you need a new person to teach you because if this one will not help you make good decisions you don't need him.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

you also might want to look and make sure its even legal to use on small game?
Old 11-18-2019, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I saw a rabbit hit by a 30-30, it was literally blown to smithereens. I was ground hog hunting with a guy I worked with and he saw a rabbit sitting and shot it. There as not enough left to make soup with. I reamed him out and walked away and left him in the field and never hunted with him again.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

The squirrel in my profile picture was shot with a .44 magnum.

Not saying that's a good choice. But it can be done. Successfully.

-Jake
Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Consider a 45/410 Taurus Judge.
fun revolver.
But I hunted bunnies using a 12 ga , #6 and didn't blow one up.
JW
Old 11-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Back when I hunted rabbits I used 12 gauge #4 shot most of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.