HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Who hunts squirrel or small game with a handgun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/421583-who-hunts-squirrel-small-game-handgun.html)

jrbsr 08-25-2019 10:29 AM

Who hunts squirrel or small game with a handgun?

What handgun do you use?
Like brand, caliber, ammo capacity.
And pics of your gun/guns if you have any.
How you like it, and how accurate is it?
What game you have hunted with your handgun?
How long have you been hunting small game with a handbun?
What sights do you use, red dot, scope, open sights?

TN Lone Wolf 08-25-2019 02:13 PM

My preferred squirrel handgun since I started hunting them again four years ago is my late grandfather's Ruger Mk II. It has a 10 round magazine that I normally load with plain Winchester 36 grain plated HP bullets. Until this season, it was equipped with a Leupold 4x pistol scope, but I wanted to challenge myself to use open sights this year. I'm pretty fond of it as a close or medium range squirrel pistol.

Also, I've killed a coyote with my S&W PC Model 460. I was deer hunting though; the 460 definitely wouldn't be my first choice as a coyote hunting handgun.

Bocajnala 08-25-2019 08:26 PM

Any pistol you have on you at the time is a great choice for a surprised coyote.

I've taken squirrels with a .22mag Ruger single six and a .38spcl Ruger police six. Both open sighted.

I'll be carrying those again this year as I'll be helping my 6 y.o. in his first real squirrel season.

-Jake

Fyrstyk54 08-26-2019 03:55 AM

Back when I was younger I hunted squirrels with a Ruger Mark I with a 2.5X Bushnell Phantom scope and Winchester Wildcat .22 LR. Took more squirrels than I can remember. I then moved on to a S&W Model 18 with a red dot scope. Shot a lot of squirrels with that rig too. Moving on to a bigger challenge, I went to a T/C Contender with 10" barrel and 2-6X scope. I was picking off squirrels at ranges that I wouldn't have dreamed of with the other handguns. I was still looking for a bigger challenge, and now I only hunt with a .32 caliber flint lock muzzle loader with iron sights. I don't get as many squirrels as I used to, but it is more of a hunt cause I have to get closer.

Bocajnala 08-26-2019 04:44 AM

I've always been interested in using a small caliber flinter for small game.

Time and money. Maybe in the future though

-Jake

Fyrstyk54 08-26-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4360205)
I've always been interested in using a small caliber flinter for small game.

Time and money. Maybe in the future though

-Jake

It's quite a challenge, and alot of fun. I don't think I could go back to using a rimfire gun again unless I had to put food on the table. The squirrels I get now I save up in the freezer until I have enough to make a stew or chili.