Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

skinning

Old 09-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default skinning

best way to skin a squirrel
Old 09-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

If the skin is loose I make a cut right in the middle of the back. Put two fingers in and pull it apart. Pull skin down over back legs and cut off at feet. Pull down over front legs and cut off at feet and head. Pull the rear part out over the tail if you're saving the tail. Then gut and rinse and you're ready to cook.

If it's tight I make a cut at the base of the tail, through the bone. Be careful not to cut through the skin. Then hold the squirrel by it's hind legs, step on the tail, and pull by hind legs. Usually this results in the whole squirrel pulling out of the skin as long as it doesn't rip.

-Jake
Old 09-19-2018, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cut the skin around the body in the middle and cut the feet off, then pull the skin towards the tail and head at the same time, when I get to the legs work them out of the skin pull to the neck, cut off the head, pull the rear half til you see the tail butt, cut off the tail at the body and pull the skin off.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also like to field dress and skin my squirrel harvest, somewhat before rigor mortis sets in (because the tree rat is easier to skin). Carrying a pair of game or pruning shears, really goes a long way, in helping cutting off the head, tail and feet.