Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I hunt with trained mink!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Spike

Default I hunt with trained mink!

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joseph Carter and I have invented a sport I call Minkenry. I am working to improve my sport, and love to share it with others.

In case you are curious, here's a little about how my interest in mink began here's the story behind it. I became interested in mink when I moved near several mink farms in Lehi Utah, during my last year of high school. This was the first time I was introduced to mink. When I moved to Lehi I knew nothing about mink, and I was told by everyone around town that mink were wild, vicious, and impossible to tame. Having had plenty of experience taming and training wild hawks and falcons as a falconer (with a late season passage cooper's hawks being one of them), and wild horses as a horse trainer, I decided to try to do the "impossible" and tame a mink.

Soon after taming a couple different mink, I became intrigued with the idea of hunting and fishing with a trained mink. I have since hunted and fished with several different mink that I have trained. I have found Minkenry to be just as addictive as falconry, with the added satisfaction of knowing I'm the first to do the sport. I'm sure it's possible SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has tried hunting with a mink, but I have a hard enough time finding people who can even handle them with out gloves, let alone train them to hunt. Here's a little video I put together showing some of my mink in action......

http://youtu.be/smpsEQaCbBU

Last edited by Minkenry; 12-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Spike

Very interesting video. They are really fun to watch swimming around in the tank.

I don't know much about Utah law, is it legal to hunt muskrat with a mink?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Spike

That is indeed a great video. Thanks for posting that.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen your videos on YouTube before, they a good and entertaining to watch.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by KonKata
Very interesting video. They are really fun to watch swimming around in the tank.

I don't know much about Utah law, is it legal to hunt muskrat with a mink?
In Utah muskrats are a non game species that can be taken in any season, and with any method other than "poison, explosives, and cross bow" (don't ask me what's up with the cross bow LOL)

This also applies to any other game I hunt with my mink. I have checked and double checked to make sure what I do with my mink is completely legal. There are several other states that also allow it, and I have a few buddies from other states who are also doing this, though not all of them can legally hunt muskrats.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bbj270
I have seen your videos on YouTube before, they a good and entertaining to watch.
Why thank you :-)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Spike

Here are some pics for you to enjoy......

Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very cool footage.

Reminds me of trapping when I was a kid............

What a hobby !!! :-)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very neat and a beautiful little critter too!!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Video....I never knew that Minks were so versital and such aggressive Hunters..... I have much more respect for such Brave Hearted Animals!Thanks for sharing Your video with Us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.