HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Squirrel Issues (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/417449-squirrel-issues.html)

CitySlicker16 03-10-2018 08:18 PM

Squirrel Issues

We have squirrels invading our home. They have made it into the attic & are attempting to get through the ceiling. Tonight we had one in the basement. Are we allowed to kill them? Trap them? Shoot them (pellet gun only within city limits)? I have 2 small children and another on the way. I need the actual, LEGAL answers to avoid my husband going to jail LOL but somewhat serious. He’s on a mission to eradicate the neighborhood of squirrels if that’s what it takes.
Thank you!!!

Bocajnala 03-11-2018 12:03 AM

What state do you live in?

I'm almost certain that you can protect your house from critter damage. But look up the revised code in your state for nuisance animals.

-Jake

MudderChuck 03-11-2018 06:54 AM

In situations like these I most always opt for the natural way. While hunting Squirrels is fun (in season) it is not the best way to discourage them. They aren't easy to hunt or trap.

The Squirrels moved into my place because of my bird feeders. They started probing the house for someplace to nest. A feral Cat started hanging around, I fed the Cat, the Squirrels left.

I shut the Cat up in the attic for a couple of weeks, water, food and Cat Box. Left the Cat box up there, no more Squirrels.

Finding the right Cat isn't easy. The best are people friendly and good hunters. The feral ones are the best hunters, the really tame ones often the worst hunters. I have one now that is half wild.

Ferals are a pain, you have to trap them periodically and get them their shots, treat for Fleas. A trapped Feral Cat is like caging a Tornado.

It could be worse, it could be Raccoons. I used Thai hot sauce, strained, then in a pump sprayer for Raccoons. I found the stuff cheap in bulk at an Oriental market. Just be careful where you spray, hot sauce is persistent. You can touch it weeks later, then rub your eye and you'll be sorry.

Oldtimr 03-11-2018 08:46 AM

Buy some big rat traps, the kind that look like a mouse trap, the kind on a wooden board. Bait the traps with peanut butter and put them in the atic where the squirrels are getting into the home. Hire someone to inspect your house and find where they squirrels are getting inside and have that area sealed so they can no longer get inside. You want to get them before they start chewing on electrical wires and start a fire.

Mr. Slim 03-11-2018 10:21 AM

you might also call the local game protector and find out what the law says about getting rid of squirrels in your house. they may tell you to call a exterminator that deals with animals.

Oldtimr 03-11-2018 10:26 AM

I can tell you for sure it is legal to kill squirrels that are damaging your home and or inside it in PA. I don't know of a state where it is not legal but there may be one. Why pay an exterminator for something you can do yourself if you are physically able. What I posted is what I told people who had this problem in PA and called for advice.

CitySlicker16 03-11-2018 07:20 PM

Reply to Jake

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4330380)
What state do you live in?

I'm almost certain that you can protect your house from critter damage. But look up the revised code in your state for nuisance animals.

-Jake

We live in Illinois

CitySlicker16 03-11-2018 07:25 PM

Reply to Murder

Originally Posted by MudderChuck (Post 4330394)
In situations like these I most always opt for the natural way. While hunting Squirrels is fun (in season) it is not the best way to discourage them. They aren't easy to hunt or trap.

The Squirrels moved into my place because of my bird feeders. They started probing the house for someplace to nest. A feral Cat started hanging around, I fed the Cat, the Squirrels left.

I shut the Cat up in the attic for a couple of weeks, water, food and Cat Box. Left the Cat box up there, no more Squirrels.

Finding the right Cat isn't easy. The best are people friendly and good hunters. The feral ones are the best hunters, the really tame ones often the worst hunters. I have one now that is half wild.

Ferals are a pain, you have to trap them periodically and get them their shots, treat for Fleas. A trapped Feral Cat is like caging a Tornado.

It could be worse, it could be Raccoons. I used Thai hot sauce, strained, then in a pump sprayer for Raccoons. I found the stuff cheap in bulk at an Oriental market. Just be careful where you spray, hot sauce is persistent. You can touch it weeks later, then rub your eye and you'll be sorry.

Thanks for the advice. Cats are not an option because my daughter is highly allergic and dander causes her to have asthma attacks.
Hypothetically speaking LOL, we may have been able to trap 5 of them in the past 3 days with peanut butter as bait. We may need to retain an attorney.

CitySlicker16 03-11-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4330401)
Buy some big rat traps, the kind that look like a mouse trap, the kind on a wooden board. Bait the traps with peanut butter and put them in the atic where the squirrels are getting into the home. Hire someone to inspect your house and find where they squirrels are getting inside and have that area sealed so they can no longer get inside. You want to get them before they start chewing on electrical wires and start a fire.

They did start to get to the wiring so my husband (carpenter by trade) already has everything needed to repair what they have done and where they are coming in. They chewed through our cedar siding and also went through the soffit. I never knew squirrels were this aggressive. We have only owned this home for 2 years so I’m assuming this was an issue for the previous owner as well.

MudderChuck 03-11-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CitySlicker16 (Post 4330443)
Thanks for the advice. Cats are not an option because my daughter is highly allergic and dander causes her to have asthma attacks.
Hypothetically speaking LOL, we may have been able to trap 5 of them in the past 3 days with peanut butter as bait. We may need to retain an attorney.

You had better luck trapping them than I did. I found many sprung traps. but very few squirrels.:) My guess is they have super reflexes.