Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17HMR or Shotgun?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Spike

Question .17HMR or Shotgun?

Hi all, I'm getting into small game hunting.
I'm planning for groundhogs, foxes, squirrels, geese, crows, doves, raccoons, etc. Foxes are the biggest thing I'm trying to shoot. (Geese are the biggest bird).
All of these are legal to shoot with either a .17HMR or a .410 bore or 28-gauge shotgun, so the question is, which should I get to maximize my ability to kill all of these animals? With an HMR I'd go for headshots on still animals (birds, when they perch or walk on the ground) and with a shotgun I'd simply stalk to range and shoot, and wingshoot flying birds. Is the higher recoil and reduced range of a shotgun worth the ability to wingshoot? Or is it better to just make HMR headshots on still animals out to 100 yards with a high-mag scope?
(I can't get a shotgun larger than 28-gauge and I'd prefer .410 bore for a shotgun if possible due to my small frame.)

Thanks,
Riverhawk

Last edited by riverhawk; 12-14-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say the shotgun would be better on flying birds and flighty small game. I am not familiar with the. 17 terminal ballistics but I wonder if it would render small game useless to eat. That would be worth looking in to.

If that is consideration then a .22 LR could be another option for you.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

as far as I know its Illegal in most places to shoot geese, so double check your rules on that!
most places its illegal to shoot even with a shotgun UNLESS your using steel shot too, so heads up there, as geese tend to be federally controlled and NOT just your local state game laws here!

MOST all shot gun work is done under 40 yards, flying or not
, so its not always easy to get that close to things,
and DON"T waste your time buying a .410 shotgun, all the more so on geese and like sized game

a 28 gauge is 100 times better option, has more power and not a lot more recoil
if you BUY shotgun and are worried about recoil, stick to a semi auto gun, they help reduce recoil by design
BUT when your with a 28 gauge, finding shells can be tricky, all the more so in waterfowl loads
a 20 guage will open a LOT mroe options from gun selections to shells

you will find VERY few geese hunters that would want to be going after geese with a NON magnum (3 inch) shell, due to steel shot and like loads, loose velocity and power pretty fast as to LEAD loaded shells
Hevi shot is best of the bunch, but again when your not in a 12-20 gauge, odds of finding them get harder and harder and prices might be higher when you do, as a 28 gauge is not very popular, as to 12 and 20's are by a BIG difference in access to rounds and types offered for it
I personally am a big fan of 28 gauges, own a few and love them
but admit there not near as easy to find shells for them for all things(target, hunting waterfowl) as 12- and 20's are

a semi auto 20 gauge in a lighter load will recoil about as much as a 28 gauge will too
so food for thought for you!
also key to being able to handle recoil is have a gun FIT you, and learning good shooting /holding gun right when firing!
be surprised how much recoil you can handle without pain or? when a gun fits you and you hold it right!
I have taught tons of females of very small frames to shoot 12 gauges with NO issue's*( better than a lot of guys I tried to teach over the yrs, found too many guys THINK they know it all, where women were more willing to take instructions and NO pre mind made up on HOW THEY were going to shoot things LOL)
easier to teach from scratch than break bad habits !
Old 12-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is illegal to shoot geese or doves or any migratory bird with a rifle of any caliber. Only a person with absolutely no common sense would attempt to shoot birds in the air with a rifle. In addition a .410 is a shotgun for an expert not a novice if you are too small to shoot at least a 20 ga. I recommend you forget about hunting. I recommend you take and pass a hunter education course before you even consider hunting. I am not even sure this is a legitimate post, it seems to be a post from someone who read a few articles and cherry picked some terms about gauges of shotguns and calibers of rifles and made a post. I find the post an insult to the intelligence of of hunters.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about a savage model 24 combination rifle in 22 mag and 20 gauge? I have a scoped combination rifle 7x57/12 gauge I like alot. I can sit for Deer or Hogs and when a Hare or Rabbit happens by I get dinner even if I don't get my Deer. Mine is really accurate, I can shoot sub MOA groups with it all day long.

Been my experience most times if you miss the first shot the second shot has less chance to connect than the first. My brother was really good with his double shotgun and could reload really quick.

Th Savage with a scope would cover most of your bases, unlikely you are going to find one firearm to cover them all.

You could have the stock fitted and a recoil pad added.

Check local laws and see if combination rifle/shotgun is legal, some places it is, some places it isn't-
Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
What about a savage model 24 combination rifle in 22 mag and 20 gauge? I have a scoped combination rifle 7x57/12 gauge I like alot. I can sit for Deer or Hogs and when a Hare or Rabbit happens by I get dinner even if I don't get my Deer. Mine is really accurate, I can shoot sub MOA groups with it all day long.

Been my experience most times if you miss the first shot the second shot has less chance to connect than the first. My brother was really good with his double shotgun and could reload really quick.

Th Savage with a scope would cover most of your bases, unlikely you are going to find one firearm to cover them all.

You could have the stock fitted and a recoil pad added.

Check local laws and see if combination rifle/shotgun is legal, some places it is, some places it isn't-
Thank you, I'll check it out.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Some thoughts below.

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It is illegal to shoot geese or doves or any migratory bird with a rifle of any caliber.
Good info worth passing on.

Only a person with absolutely no common sense would attempt to shoot birds in the air with a rifle.
You should reread his/her post--it didn't say anything about shooting a rifle in the air.

In addition a .410 is a shotgun for an expert not a novice if you are too small to shoot at least a 20 ga. I recommend you forget about hunting.
More than a few kids have started with a .410. If you do your part as a shooter, the .410 will do its' part.

I recommend you take and pass a hunter education course before you even consider hunting.
Good advice.

I am not even sure this is a legitimate post, it seems to be a post from someone who read a few articles and cherry picked some terms about gauges of shotguns and calibers of rifles and made a post.
The member asked a question. As always, you don't have to answer the question if you don't want to do so.

I find the post an insult to the intelligence of of hunters.
Apparently the other 3 hunters that have already responded to this topic didn't find the OP's post to be an insult to their intelligence since they attempted to give detailed answers and advice.