Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First Bobcat

Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default First Bobcat

While on a veterans doe hunt I was lucky enough to get my first cat. Been wanting one for the last 25 years and have always seen them out of season. Believe it or not I shot a doe 30 seconds before shooting the cat. I didn't see the cat there but the doe started acting squirly so I pulled the trigger on her before she could get back in the trees. Right after I put another round in the chamber I look up and this kitty was heading straight for where the doe ran. The only downside is I shot her with a 7mag so I am limited on the mounts. The entry hole is about the size of a silver dollar and luckily because of the angle the exit is on the bottom side just past the armpit. A lying down mount should be fine. She weighed 20 lbs and I am told this is a very good one for the area I was hunting.
Attached Thumbnails First Bobcat-bobcat9_dec_2017.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats! That's a nice looking cat.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Wonderful that you got to see one at the right time!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is really neat. Color me jealous.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Good looking cat. Doubled with a doe, that's nice!!

-Jake
Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice sized cat.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, bobcat are really cool. I used to run a trapline when I was growing up in CO and I'd get 4 or 5 a year. They sold for good $$$ back then. CO outlawed trapping and I went years without one and finally shot one with a 22 rifle when I was rabbit hunting. Tried to sell the pelt and was offered slightly more than nothing for it. Decided to mount it. I went with a lying down pose on an extended tree limb. It is a mount for the corner of a room and the cat is positioned so it tooks to the center of the room. No matter where you stand it looks like it is looking at you.

I've seen 5 or 6 since then but won't ever shoot another. Just too cool of a critter in my mind.