Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Where'd the Squirrel go?

Old 11-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Freezing rain this morning. We took a ride around in the truck, got breakfast, and headed for home.
-JaKe
Old 11-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

drove over 100 miles of backroads yesterday during the course of my workday, sightings were way up.......saw 3
RR
Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 AM
Dominant Buck

They are all over the place here on the island. More now than I can remember. Must by a cycle thing and they are at a peak right now around here. We have grays here with some of those nasty and destructive reds.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
drove over 100 miles of backroads yesterday during the course of my workday, sightings were way up.......saw 3
RR
RR that's how it is around me. I see more deer than squirrel. And it never used to be that way.
-JaKe
Old 11-08-2017, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

While deer hunting in northern Missouri the last week I must have had 20 to 30 greys around me every sit. Never seen so many at one time. Kept me entertained lol
Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Squirrels will migrate out of an area if there is a failure in the mast crops. Where I hunt deer there are white oak acorns and hickory nuts every where and the White oak had a banner season this year and squirrels are everywhere..
Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have not been able to be in the woods much yet this year but all of the squirrels I see around us in the southwest corner of Michigan are all black phase squirrels. I have not seen a regular fox squirrel all year.

The black phase squirrels seem to have come farther and farther south over the years....I don't think we had any 3 or 4 years ago. We seem to have more and more and now they are the only ones I seem to see.

It sounds like grey and fox squirrels can both go through a black phase and we mostly have fox squirrels but these black squirrels all seem smaller than the fox squirrels we usually have. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them around here, though.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Given the chance...the red pine squirrel will bite-off the testicles of male gray squirrels.

Certain forested lots can get "shot-out" for squirrels,
Old 10-01-2018, 01:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I've got a pesky herd of blacks and grays hammering my bear bait!