Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to predator hunting?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Spike

Very true and a good point, thanks for the info
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mjw176
I have never hunted predator but it looks very interesting and exciting. My area is starting to get a very large population of them since no one hunts them. My question is what is the most preferred call the electronic calls or the standard mouth call. It seems like they develop and sell both types. Are there certain circumstances or pros and cons for using one over the other and does the typical hunter carry and use both types?
Thanks you for any advice getting into this
I've given up deer hunting and taken on predator hunting as my primary hobby. We called in a triple on foxes this past weekend along with a bobcat.

The setup I run and recommend to others:
- fox pro call
- mojo critter decoy
- outrigger outdoors red eye predator hunting light

That predator hunting light is unreal, foxes/bobcats/coyotes don't pay any attention to it when I mount it to a tree and its all remote control.

I hope this helps!!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One property I hunt has a unusually large number of coyotes due to nearby pig farms. I've had them run in on me calling for turkey in spring, using deer calls in fall, and hunting them in winter with electronic calls. Your going to want to use calls to get them excited and running. Someone else can recommend the type. They are very attuned to their surroundings when stalking around. Calls will even the playing field.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calling seems to be working for a lot of hunters, I use another strategy.

I pick out a likely area, lots of Rabbits or Hare, lots of grain fields which draws Mice, Chickens and Rats seem to go together, nesting area for water fowl etc. I go out after a rain and make a map of any tracks I see. I might walk a couple of miles in hundred yard grids. Once you get the hot spots mapped out you can use that maps for years. Another Yote or Fox will replace the one you eliminated and will scent trail the last one that occupied that area and hit the same food hot spots.

I set up early morning before sunup on a good spot and ambush them.

The thing about Fox or Yotes is you hunt them where they have already been. They are territorial and make the rounds inside their territory. Might not be every day in the same spot, but I rarely have to sit for more than three mornings before I bag my Fox or Yote.

I can see where calling can be more pro active, just sitting can be boring.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-01-2017 at 09:37 PM.