Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Have you ever killed a gray squirrel that was just as big as a mature Fox squirrel? ? >

Have you ever killed a gray squirrel that was just as big as a mature Fox squirrel? ?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Have you ever killed a gray squirrel that was just as big as a mature Fox squirrel? ?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Have you ever killed a gray squirrel that was just as big as a mature Fox squirrel? ?

Just wonderin, have any of you ever killed a gray squirrel that was just as big as a mature Fox squirrel???
Old 10-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by john1984
Just wonderin, have any of you ever killed a gray squirrel that was just as big as a mature Fox squirrel???
I've killed 2 gray squirrels in the past 3 years that were huge, the size of an old Fox squirrel, ,,, I didn't think that was possible until I seen with my own eyes. How bout you?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, but my sister has a Black squirrel running about her backyard, I don't know if it's 1 or a few of them, but it's pretty awesome. It's a black fox squirrel I believe.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

No, there's always been a noticeable size difference when I've shot them.

Fat corn fed fox squirrel are allot of fun to hunt!

-Jake
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

possibly just a color phase of the fox squirrel, next time you get one notice the color of the bones when you cook it, gray squirrel bones are white when cooked, fox squirrels are pink.
RR
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still trying to reconcile what I'm seeing on the ground and what I'm reading. There seems to be a lot of discrepancy.

No Fox Squirrels here, but some Reds nearly as large as a Fox. They say the Grays are larger than the typical Reds, here they are a lot smaller. At least that is what I'm seeing in my area.

Grays were protected, but now they say they are an invasive species?

Best guess is Squirrel studies have a long ways to go to be reliable. Regional differences can be profound. And there may be some inter breeding.

I've got a Red Squirrel that hangs around my garden now that is way larger than what is published as normal. And a smaller Red with a large brindle stripe down it's back.

I was reading and they are saying the decline in the Red Squirrel population is from a virus endemic in Gray Squirrels that the Grays are immune to. But they say the Reds are making a come back. Best guess is the surviving Reds also have some immunity and are passing it on to their offspring.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

This picture don't do this gray squirrel justice cuz it looked bigger in real life

This gray was just as big as your average mature Fox squirrel. Even though I have seen Fox squirrels bigger than this gray I shot 2 years ago
Old 12-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Spike

Looks like a nice big fat one. What area are you in
Old 12-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bucknwfl
Looks like a nice big fat one. What area are you in
West central Wisconsin
Old 12-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't really have fox squirrels here, but I have some local bird seed eating 15 hrs a day that will actually Chase the neighbors cats out of my yard
there HUGE fat as can be, between eating corn out of food plots and raiding bird feeders, acorns and sucking up apples as fast as they can
I'd say some here are just as big or maybe bigger(well heavier)
wish I knew someone that ate em, as I could hunt them for them and give them away , but no one wants them and I won;t shoot anything I ain't got a plate for!

location and access to food would be the big factor here I think over breed of them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.