Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Tanning Pelt-On

Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Spike

Default Tanning Pelt-On

Hi again--spamming this forum with posts about pred/varminting, sorry 'bout that!
So I was planning on using the Dixietan Paste which is a dry powder you mix with water and spread on the flesh side of a pelt to tan my pelts.
If at all possible, I'd like to tan green without salting skins first.
Is there anything wrong with using Dixietan (or using it to tan green skins)? If not, are there other ready-made, easy to use tanning solutions available that work better?

Thanks,
Wolven
Old 09-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

I did a deer hide with the fur on. I used Van Dykes?? for some of the chemicals.

The salt kills the bacteria. If not using it, get it froze or close to it quick. The bacteria is what causes the hair to fall out.

If you do choose to use salt, it needs to be pure salt. Though I started a deer with table salt the first night. Held up ok. But it is just hanging on a wall, not alot of stress.

Not familar with tanning green. I spent some time on taxidermy sites when I did my deer.

Fleshing it out can take awhile. Keep a sharpner on hand. It gets going good, and you go faster, and then cut through.

Other tough thing is submerging it brine. It wants to float. I tried lots of differnt stuff. End up just stirring it lots.

Cutting the lid off garbage can or container, close to the diameter, and weighing may work. That is how some do kraut. I tried bricks in bags, but the hide just floated around.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Berserker
I did a deer hide with the fur on. I used Van Dykes?? for some of the chemicals.

The salt kills the bacteria. If not using it, get it froze or close to it quick. The bacteria is what causes the hair to fall out.

If you do choose to use salt, it needs to be pure salt. Though I started a deer with table salt the first night. Held up ok. But it is just hanging on a wall, not alot of stress.

Not familar with tanning green. I spent some time on taxidermy sites when I did my deer.

Fleshing it out can take awhile. Keep a sharpner on hand. It gets going good, and you go faster, and then cut through.

Other tough thing is submerging it brine. It wants to float. I tried lots of differnt stuff. End up just stirring it lots.

Cutting the lid off garbage can or container, close to the diameter, and weighing may work. That is how some do kraut. I tried bricks in bags, but the hide just floated around.
Thanks for the tips--so if I freeze it, is it the same as tanning green? Or is salt absolutely necessary?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Salt not only inhibits microbial and fungal growth, but it also draws moisture and oils out of the hide - which is a necessary step in the tanning process. Hides won't accept the tanning solution properly if they aren't properly prepared - meaning too wet, or still containing natural oils. It's also the time when the hide is stretched and taught to lay flat, which won't happen at any other point in the process.

Deer hair is hollow, so deer hides (and deer in general) are very buoyant. I don't soak anything unless I'm parlaying the tanning process.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have no idea what tanning green means is. Using the brains, and no chemicals?

Freezing will stall the bacteria until you are ready to deal with it. Not sure what would happen if you put it in the pickle right off the animal and monitored ph.

Not sure what the adversion to salt is. As said salt it to soak up fluid, change salt. I think I then pickled, then maybe fleshed, maybe pickle again. Then tan. I just googled it. I ended u[ using Vans instructions and chemicals. Common kits you can buy. Probably cheaper to buy indvidually if doing enough.

lots of stuff on the web on this.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
I have no idea what tanning green means is.
"Green pelts" are fresh skins, right off of the carcass. Not yet fleshed, not stretched or dried/salted, "green."

Short cuts in tanning processes usually don't work well. It's not a process for the impatient. Flesh it, stretch it, salt it, and then make leather... I've put up thousands of hides over the years and tanned dozens if not hundreds of them. I really can't see a serviceable process which didn't make rawhide (dried hide) before it made leather (tanned & softened).

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have only done it once. Did a fur on deer. I got busy with work and didn't break it well. I could rehydrate and try again, but I won't. It is flexible, just doesn't lay flat. Was a lot of work. I did it just cause I like to learn how to do things. Not saying I wouldn't do another.

Like to do a coyote next, or better yet a bear.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
"Green pelts" are fresh skins, right off of the carcass. Not yet fleshed, not stretched or dried/salted, "green."

Short cuts in tanning processes usually don't work well. It's not a process for the impatient. Flesh it, stretch it, salt it, and then make leather... I've put up thousands of hides over the years and tanned dozens if not hundreds of them. I really can't see a serviceable process which didn't make rawhide (dried hide) before it made leather (tanned & softened).

Okay, I'll salt. Should I flesh before or after salting? (Also, Dixietan doesn't really involve "pickling"--salt, rinse salt out (I think), then spread paste on the pelt on the flesh side.)
Old 09-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only "pickle" when I want to delay putting up the hides for some reason, and frankly, freezing the green pelt is a better process.

Yes, you must flesh before salting. You'll effectively ruin your hide to leave flesh, fat, or oils on when salting. Some guys like to pickle to pull oils out of the hide easier. I just rub in my salt and refresh it consistently. Pickling can turn incredibly nasty, so I tend to avoid it.

Case, brush & wash if needed, flesh, stretch and salt, let dry stretched, rinse, tan & soften.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 09-28-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I have only done it once, and did lots wrong. But I salted. Pickled, fleshed, and picked again maybe. Doing hide on. I froze before doing tan, due to timing.

Being a novice, I was just following what I read.

Hide doesnt flat, but not stiff. But I did not spend time breaking. I had some timing problems.

Was work. Turned out ok, and obviously could get better. But I think a hack, can do one for himself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.