Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Dying traps

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Spike

Default Dying traps

I have some footholds that I want to dye this year. I've heard that there needs to be a coating of rust so the dye will adhere properly. Well I've had these duke #2s for two years and they are covered in rust. Never punted or dyed em. Like, really rusty. I just wanted to know if the amount of rust matters or what.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

If they are really rusty I would use a grinder with a wire brush on em before dying them.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Spike

I've dyed new traps successfully with no rust.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

To get the rust off you need to kill it.
Take 1/2 white vinager and 1/2 water.
Soak them in the 50/50 mix for 20 minutes then rinse them off with water with baking soda real good.
If they turn black that means the rust has been killed.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

This may help.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in my trapping days I used 50/50 vinegar/water but don't leave them in to long as the vinegar will eat the steal and the surface will have an odor that is very hard to get rid of(not vinegar but a metallic smell)

I used walnuts to dye my traps but that was back before the internet and all the information in the world was available at our fingertips so maybe there is a better way to do it.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Back when I trapped with my dad we used black walnut hulls to due our traps after we degreased them and let them sit out a while in the weather. Then we heated up a cast iron pot full of walnut hulls and water and boiled them for quite a while, I don't remember how long. Now you can buy crystals to put in the water to dye them.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rockport
Back in my trapping days I used 50/50 vinegar/water but don't leave them in to long as the vinegar will eat the steal and the surface will have an odor that is very hard to get rid of(not vinegar but a metallic smell)

I used walnuts to dye my traps but that was back before the internet and all the information in the world was available at our fingertips so maybe there is a better way to do it.
That's what I used to do when I trapped...
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 AM
Spike

I took the easy route lol. I went to my local sporting goods store and bought myself a packet of logwood dye. And to be honest they turned out great. I'll have to put another coat on next year but they look pretty good. Caught 4 coons and peppy la pew so far this season. I'll trap for a little in between Christmas and New Year. Hope the fur market rises. Happy Trapping!

Mason