Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Fun Encounter with Baby Raccoon

Old 06-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Spike

Default Fun Encounter with Baby Raccoon

Today I got the pleasure of spending just a few minutes with a pair of baby raccoon while out hanging trail cameras. These two sure did have a lot to say! If you're not out in the woods enjoying wildlife and nature in general, you cannot expect to have fun encounters like these. One of the many reasons I'm a diehard bowhunter. Always something fun to watch while sitting in a tree, or while out hanging trail cameras.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cute little bandits, but they are nasty when they grow up!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

me personally I think mother nature puts on the best show there is
anyone that hunts and only for the kill, is missing a big part of the reasons to be out there
yes some hunt for food and I get it
but, I have seen so many things that were just so wonderful to get to see by being out there yr round!

as for coons being nasty when grown up?
I have lots of them here, never had a nasty experience with one in my life time?
Actually had to shoot one a few weeks back, that had distemper
felt bad for the poor sucker .
but I have a few adults that show up almost every night, no issue's at all with them with me or any pets??

I am sure they could make a mess of trash and stuff and hold there own in a fight, if needed, but??

guess I've been lucky?? no nasty one's here LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted them at night with Dad and our two coon hounds before I even got into first grade. They are a neat animal, but don't back one into a corner. They can hold their own and tear a dog to pieces if they need to defend themselves. Smart ones that have been run before will even go out into deep water and if a dog follows they've been known to jump on a dogs back/head and drown it!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

well that way I can sure see one being nasty, then again most critters cornered can be

I always used to tell folks, when they would ask me HOW strong a bear is(I have lots of bears at my place all the time)
I used to tell tell them this
try taking a house cat and sticking it in a 5 gallon bucket of water
then try that with a couple hundred lb cat LOL
and your then getting close to the strength of a bigger bear !!

A very funny story I can tell of a raccoon, if anyone cares

But I have a few resident coons here, roam back yard every night
well about 2 or 3 weeks ago, my motion lights went on, and I happened to be walking past a window
and I looked out to see a raccoon, shoving a skunk out of my yard and was literally , pushing it out of my yard, it had its NOSE shoved up its butt and had the skunks feet off the ground, , skunks tail was straight up in the air the whole while and all I was thinking was CRAP< now its going to spray and my place will stink for a while??

and also that this is either one DUMB or brave coon! HAHA
Coon pushed that skunk about 100+ ft like this, skunk never sprayed,THANK God,

NOW< the even odder part here is, a few days later I see the same thing happen again, I THINK the same two critters

then since that, never seen the skunk here again??

but it was rather funny to see that coon sticking his nose where he was like that, must have had a broken scent system on him! just asking for trouble there IMO!!
but all ended well, NO smell and they moved on I guess! not even a fight!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb, raccoons are some of the meanest critters you can deal with if they get angry, which doesn't take much. I have caught more than my share of nuisance coons in my time and had one run half way up my leg till I could knock him off. They may look cute and harmless, however if one decides to take you on you will look like you went through a threshing machine. They also carry a worm that can make you blind if ingested, the eggs are picked up from their fur and or feces. I really would consider chasing them away from your house especially if you have kids or grandkids that play out side.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

mrbb- If the coon had that skunk's back feet up off the ground that's why he probably didn't get sprayed. I believe they have to have their back feet planted to be able to let that scent gland do it's thing, but not positive about that.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtimr
I've had coons here like this for about 30+ yrs no issue's
so, not too worried
but YEAH 100% I bet they can be ball of teath and claws if they wished to!
I know they like to growl and snarl at each other a lot, but I never really see them fight, lots of bluffs like??

very seldom if ever have kids here, mostly just me about my property!

but thanks for the added info on them!
and I am sure with your old job, you had to deal with a lot of them and other like small critters

Topgun 3006, yes as a fact the skunks back feet were up off the groudn while being pushed, but when it stopped they were planted firmly and it , just stood there and then walked off, with the coon behind it, well first time, second time, it went too far for me to see how it ended!

I was just happy no funky smell to deal with.
I don't get skunks here very often, as a fact up till this, I didn;'t see any here for about 8-10 yrs, or should say NOT in my yard
back behind my place I have seen many while on the atv or out for evening walks

I wonder if all the coons here keep them away??
as I always seem to have a few of the here , yr after yr, soem yrs there numbers shoot up pretty high, then seem to crash a yr or so later, but always have them here!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Spike

I'm a diehard hunter and trapper, and trap a lot of raccoon every year, but in the off season I enjoy watching them all. As hunters and trappers I think we see a lot of really cool things while in the outdoors just because we're out there all the time. I feel sorry for the people who never leave the city.

Now as far as an angry raccoon goes.... I've seen some terribly PO'D raccoon in my time. lol but these little guys weren't it. I seen two baby skunk yesterday, but I certainly didn't stop to talk with them or get video! haha
Old 07-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

My wife raised two litters of baby skunks in our basement. There was never a spraying incident. When it was time to feed them she would take them out of the box and put them down at a bowl of cat food. When they were old enough I would take them out and stuff them down a groundhog hole. One day I was stuffing baby skunks down a hole and they were coming out as fast as I was stuffing them in. While this was going on, I hears a Pssst hey buddy, I looked up to see a man hiding behind a tree and he said you are crazy as H*ll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.