Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Anyone ever heard of beagles used for coyote and fox tracking >

Anyone ever heard of beagles used for coyote and fox tracking

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anyone ever heard of beagles used for coyote and fox tracking

Old 05-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Anyone ever heard of beagles used for coyote and fox tracking

Ok the idea seams to be since the beagle doesn't push them as hard as some of the bigger hounds do they stay on a smaller pice of land and will lop around giving more chances for a shot and they are easier to cut off if they start for a road or land you don't have permission for seams like as long as there is two or more dogs they are pretty safe from the coyotes was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Foxes and coyotes aren't rabbits and don't react like rabbits to being chased, that is why faster dogs with longer legs are used to hunt them
Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Foxes and coyotes aren't rabbits and don't react like rabbits to being chased, that is why faster dogs with longer legs are used to hunt them
Seams like I remember some of the old timer fox hunters talking about using slower hounds for fox because they will run a lop around a slow dog
Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fox will usually go underground, den, culvert or whatever or into really thick vegetation and play hide and seek. Fox are really good at hide and seek. Getting one to break cover and give up on the hide and seek can be iffy. I've seen them run dogs ragged playing hide and seek in thickets or Corn fields..
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Spike

So would you think the smaller dogs could get into the cover better
Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

What he said is foxes would run the legs off beagles additionally, coyotes just might turn around and kill them.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Been reading all the tally ho England stuff have you?

Al
Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

You wouldn't believe the number of fox hound packs in the area where I live, there are areas in my county and neighboring counties that are very big in fox hunting. Not the kind we do with firearms but riding to the hounds.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know much about fox - I haven't really done much in the way of fox hunting. When it comes to coyotes, I would have to say, as mentioned by others, coyotes are runners, and they'd likely run the legs off a beagle. Additionally, if faced with a lone beagle, a coyote might decide to turn and fight. Treeing Walker Coonhounds, on the other hand, are built for the chase. I've seen them run multiple coyotes in a single hunt, without slowing down. I believe they're also related to English Foxhounds, so I would think they'd do well chasing fox, too.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Spike

Well have you ever seen any of the other ones doing it besides the walkers I just can't put up with a walker seams like they are the ones that case trouble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.