Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First squirrel of 2017

Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default First squirrel of 2017

Yesterday morning, I had some free time before I had to go to work, so I set up my equipment to sight in my Ruger Mark II. After setting my target stand at 25 yards and adjusting my rest to accommodate the Ruger, I fired three rounds and went to check the target.

Well, that was easy.

This morning dawned cool and wet, which made me thankful I decided to wear rubber boots and waterproof pants rather than regular boots and jeans. I quickly made my way to one of my good spots. Within ten minutes I saw a squirrel darting through the leaves to my right. Although it was hard to see anything through the canopy and undergrowth, the leaves allowed me to remain hidden even as I moved to intercept him. I called out to him when he reached a fairly open branch. A 36 grain hollowpoint to the head knocked him right out of the tree.

I saw several more afterwards in the same area, but I couldn't get them to sit still long enough to take a shot. I see a 410/45 Colt barrel for my Encore in my future. At the very least, I know exactly where I need to be next time.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Great shooting!! VA. squirrel season is closed right now, but there is a June season for two weeks. The regular season opens first sat. in Sept. to end of Feb. for gray squirrel.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks! Got another one this morning. Saw plenty more out there, but this one was the only one I connected on.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Spike

our spring squirrel season stays open to middle june hot and lot of deer ticks now no fun I like later when in hickories
Old 05-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's cool!!! I bet hand gun hunting is fun
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
That's cool!!! I bet hand gun hunting is fun
Oh, it is. It can get frustrating at times since you have to pass up a lot of opportunities you could have easily taken with a rifle, but when you finally do connect with a handgun, the feeling makes it all worthwhile.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

VA. season opens tomorrow June 3-17. It's supposed to be in upper 60's low 70's mid next week, might have to get out there and put a few more in the freezer.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Went out today an brought three fox squirrels home with me. Temps were upper 60's an lower 70's by noon. It was really breezy and hard to see them in the trees, but I managed to get under them anyway as the forest floor was wet and quiet.

I needed the .12 ga. shotgun as there was no way with a scoped .22 to even see them.

I won't hunt them anymore now till September. Temps are going up into the 90's next week anyway too hot for me to hunt.