HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Spring squirrel season hunting tips (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/413573-spring-squirrel-season-hunting-tips.html)

TN Lone Wolf 05-06-2017 05:35 PM

Spring squirrel season hunting tips

For those of you who live in places with spring squirrel seasons, what tactics do you use to hunt squirrels this time of year? When have you found to be the best time of day to hunt, and where do you like to set up while hunting them?

GTOHunter 05-06-2017 06:04 PM

In the early Spring it seems the Squirrels are on the ground a lot working the areas looking for buried nuts and new spring growth...I like Hunting in the early mornings or any time after a nice rain the Squirrels are easier to see and hear the rain falling from the young leaves as the Squirrels move and cause the rain to fall off the leaves so You know where they are!

Topgun 3006 05-06-2017 06:22 PM

I'm surprised there is a legal Spring season for squirrels anywhere. There sure isn't in MI.

Bocajnala 05-06-2017 07:48 PM

Nothing in Ohio or PA. But I know some states do. Just from what I see the squirrels are all busy packing on the pounds right now. It seems like the squirrel around the house spend all day back and forth from the bird and deer feeders.
-Jake

alleyyooper 05-07-2017 03:17 AM

Michigan doesn't have a spring season because they are starting to raise babies right about now.

:D Al

toytruck 05-07-2017 01:02 PM

Virginia started a spring squirrel season couple of years ago for a couple weeks in June. The biologists say it falls in between litters, but only on private lands not on federal or state.

I tried it one year on a farm that had alot of fox squirrels (the owners want me to kill them all). I killed four I believe, no females, as I recall, that fall they didn't seem to be as plentiful as in other years. It was in the 80's+ temps, but was a nice summer day.

I haven't hunted them in June since. The owners were calling me several times a year to get rid of them as they were getting in their vehicles, looking in the house, digging up her flower bulbs, etc. I called DGIF an discovered squirrels are considered a pest species an with land owner permission can be killed year round. I wouldn't want to kill a female with a litter, no way!!

I hunted them the same as I did in the fall, no difference, on the ground, in tree limbs, etc. They seemed to be surprised to find me shooting at them in June tho...

SoloCamper 05-08-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by toytruck (Post 4303532)
It was in the 80's+ temps, but was a nice summer day.

Sounds like mid-September when the season opens here. I've hunted in hot/humid weather early in the season. One year it was in the upper 40s opening morning and I wore a sweatshirt. It felt COLD coming out of summer.

Delaware doesn't have a Spring squirrel season. Closest state that does is Virginia. I imagine the breeding window in DE is similar to VA, so hopefully they'll open a Spring season around here in the near future.

toytruck 05-09-2017 07:49 AM

I don't like to hunt when its hot. I was afraid the meat would spoil on me that hunt I did in June, but it was okay. It's just something about the fall woods, the chill and decaying leaves smell that gets me going and ready for deer seasons later.:biggrin:

bearbow49 05-09-2017 04:16 PM

we have spring squirrel season here in ky like fall ticks bad