Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
How often do you actually call in a coyote? >

How often do you actually call in a coyote?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How often do you actually call in a coyote?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default How often do you actually call in a coyote?

Coyote hunters, how often do you actually call in a coyote, especially compared to how often you go out?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We call in coyotes at least one or two every time we go out.
don't go in wind over 15 MPH, Nor in the rain or while having a major snow storm.

Of course we do not call them in on every set every day. Some places the coyotes have just moved on seeing as their range is so large.

Al
Old 03-25-2017, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

On average probably 1 out of 6 sets. Of course there are days ya call 10 spots n call in zero, and then days you go four for four. If Hunting with snow and by moonlight, I would say your odds double
Old 03-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I should have pointed out that you do not spend time calling where the coyotes are not.

We try to call every land owner at least 2 days before the hunt or the day before. We ask have you seen any coyotes and a lot of times they haven't during the day but some times in the evenings or early evenings. Many will tell us they have heard them in the evening or in the early mornings though.

Some times we deviate from our mapped plan, so we will stop and run our siren locator sounds. If we hear coyotes howling we will stop and hunt the place if not we pass on by.

Al
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by woodenb14
On average probably 1 out of 6 sets. Of course there are days ya call 10 spots n call in zero, and then days you go four for four. If Hunting with snow and by moonlight, I would say your odds double
My experience is about the same as this
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by woodenb14
Pretty much the same here too. Some days are better than others. It's a volume game - call a lot of sets in a day, get a lot of chances to have one come in.

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I should have pointed out that you do not spend time calling where the coyotes are not.
This is critical. I locate the night before, or before walking out into a set if night hunting. If coyotes aren't in the area and aren't responding to locators, don't waste your time. It doesn't mean they are not there if they don't respond, but if you can find spots where they DO respond, your odds of getting something on a string go up dramatically.

Deer hunting is about having permission on ONE (or a few) great pieces of ground. Coyote hunting is about having permission on as many spots as possible to give you an opportunity to hunt where the coyotes are, when the coyotes are there. Which is really to say - COYOTES CAN BE AND OCCASIONALLY ARE EVERYWHERE, whereas big bucks are not. It's a very different game.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I in the same boat prob 1 in 5 or 6 sets.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Coyote hunters, how often do you actually call in a coyote, especially compared to how often you go out?
IMO daytime & night hunting are 2 different things.

I like to go to a certain area for a reason; found carcass, calving time,

fawns are dropping, rancher/farmer having problem, etc.

Plus I like to spot and stalk coyotes just as must as calling.

Remember, a hawk is only successful 1-10 attempts !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-26-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
IMO daytime & night hunting are 2 different things.

I like to go to a certain area for a reason; found carcass, calving time,

fawns are dropping, rancher/farmer having problem, etc.

Plus I like to spot and stalk coyotes just as must as calling.

Remember, a hawk is only successful 1-10 attempts !!!
I'm pretty much the same.

When the farmers cut Alfalfa or Hay the Yotes show up and the background of the cut silage makes for good low light shooting.

Yotes mark their territory with scat, I've often come across places with twenty or more Yote scats, all the way from fresh to white. They visit these spots often.

After a rain I scout for trails, the closer you get to a Den the more well worn the trail. The trails often follow a fence line or a mound between fields.

Anyplace with a high Rodent or Rabbit population is likely to have Yotes around.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on day or night. In daytime, here in VA maybe one out of every 4-5 sets but in TX about 1 in every 2-3 sets & often call in doubles/triples.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.