Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trail Camming Sets

Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail Camming Sets

I've gotten into setting up cams where I have my sets.
I found it interesting to see what's out there. Especially because I don't want the cattle ranchers dog.

Then even more so, how the critters react when they explore a set.
Gives an insight into nature.

I had 1 coon sniff around for 10 minutes, before he decided to venture in. He actually walked away for a while, then came back to explore the set again.

He was very cautious as he knew the set wasn't there the night before. But he couldn't stay away from the lure. He kept on coming back, & coming back, until he met his match.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does a trail camera prevent the neighbor's dog from getting caught?

It's kinda nice putting a camera over a few sets, or at least on a few entry points to see if anyone is trespassing on the line (or catch evidence if they are), but it's pretty expensive to put a camera over very many sets. I don't trap in the volumes I used to, but I'd need dozens of cameras to cover a couple hundred traps in the field. It was a full time gig keeping them tended, and going through photos of all of those sets would have taken ages! I do put "tattler" cameras on some of my lines, and I have put cameras over sets to see how they really work, but other than bait piles, I don't really make a common practice of it.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
How does a trail camera prevent the neighbor's dog from getting caught?
I'll cam my location for a week, and see if there are any domestic animals running around. If not, I'll set the trap...
Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Fork Horn

New to trapping got 2 coyotes and 1 opussom, just checked my traps and am missing 1 that was double staked , did have a camera and can't wait for my wife to get up so I can view my video , hoping my hunting dog can help me get them. Be safe, have fun