Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

need advise guys

Old 01-15-2017, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I'd try to call them in. In my experience while calling in coyotes I've got more bobcats to come in and they came in rather quick as well. I used rabbit in distress call with a cheap rabbit decoy sometimes. The time of day didn't seem to matter if I was in the right area.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes and Bobcats are more likely to be out at night but will still move during the day time.The Feather on a string hanging from a limb or on a thin wooden dowel rod blowing in the wind will draw in Coyotes,Bobcats and Foxes as well.Try using a Rabbit in Distress Call to draw the Predators in and sit quietly using very little movement or sit up in a Ladder Stand or Box Blind to have a better view.
If there is a dead Deer I would set up where You can see it or even drag it to a more open Areas then Hunt close enough to where You can see it and have a good shot but I wouldn't try any Rabbit Distress Sounds only a few Coyote Barks/Yelps or even Pup Distress sounds!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I have a stray dog at 12:30 one night and they deer was there then gone , no carcass just hair spread about 10 ft × 3 ft , I figured the coyotes but now have the cat sign as well , my properties all thick bedding creek, deep usually dry and 6 inches of leaves I can rarely find prints .I , am going to rake some lanes, hunted from 5 am till 9 :30 then took grandbabies and wife to church and had to split wood , only saw one deer , nice doe about 8 am , thanks for the tips , it'll help me
Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

One sign of a dog kill of deer is a big patch of deer hair spread over the ground. A cat kill is not nearly so violent since they kill by biting the neck and strangling their prey.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why is having a cat or a few coyotes around a problem? They are an important part of nature and have been eating deer for thousands of years. Natural predadation makes a deer herd stronger.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Why is having a cat or a few coyotes around a problem? They are an important part of nature and have been eating deer for thousands of years. Natural predation makes a deer herd stronger.
Exactly what I was wondering myself!
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Problem is I have more than a few and last night I worked late and they came in and killed a goat , it's okay I hung the goat from a tree and set 4 #2 leg traps so I can thin my predators , cats kinda cool, he might get to stay if he's small but probably not, I'd rather do my part to help keep predator numbers in check, I've only seen one covey of quail this year . I'll keep leaving my fences uncut to provide cover and do all I can to encourage the population to increase when it comes to the animals I eat and enjoy
Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Exactly what I was wondering myself!
I'm with you guys,
ONE dead deer, that MAY or may not have been poached > doesn't sound to me like ma cat problem at all
NOW if you were finding a LOT of dead animal remains all over, then I would say you have a problem

your goat getting killed, is again sad and sucks, but having animals in an area where predators live, happens, its part of the game, its like farmers that get crop damage, its expected, and unavoidable
NOW if you have excessive amounts of crop damage or, live stock being killed, THEN you have a problem(or finding a LOT of dead animal remains) till then, you sound like you just have a mix of natural wildlife in your area
if its legal to hunt or trap, have at iot, not one to say not to if it makes you happy
But I doubt you have a true problem there?
your IMO jumping the gun on your conclusions based on one dead deer, of unknown death
PLUS you THINK possibly poached, , which to me would be a bigger worry if your having poachers killing your game!, poachers IMO
do more damage than natural predators do by far!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to call them in, and compared to coyotes they seem to take more time to cautiously come in, and a lot of the times you won't see them until the last minute or not at all. I do remember 1 time in Az desert YEARS ago me and a buddy was calling yotes in & I have no idea where it came from, how long it had been there, or what was on it's agenda but we had our backs leaned up against a sizable scrub and all of a sudden a cat cut loose-sounding like it was about 5.3 inches away from our heads! Talking about startled!!!! The truck was about 200 yards away and I set 27 world records getting there & when I got to the truck that fat SOB with me had already broken the key off in the ignition! I've found to call cats in better it's best to call a couple minutes, take a break, call again, all the while lowering the volume of our mouth blown calls, and trying to watch 360 degrees because they never show where you expect them to. Good camo, movement/noise discipline, & scent control is a MUST!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

What do I need to do to make my sets catch yotes and avoid possums and other critters ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.