Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon Trapping PA

Old 10-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default Coon Trapping PA

I'm a thirteen year old and am looking into running a trap line behind my house this fall. I have two leg holds and am going to by 4 or 5 dog proof traps. Any suggestion for bait. I have heard that dog food in the dog proof traps is the best thing. Lien i said. Does anybody have any suggestions for bait. I might trap fox or yotes with the leg holds. I got a nice red fox last winter trying to get my quail. I had another predator problem. And it turned out to be a frickin coon. I'll be trapping them this winter.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

This article suggests canned tuna for raccoon. Apparently one of the hoi poloi says a honey bun covered with extra honey is great.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/sur...t-each-critter
Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Spike

For the coon hanging a quarter by a string directly above the trap works most of the time. Coons love shiny objects and the quarter will help get his attention. For the fox and coyote try to disguise the trap as best as possible while making it look natural. Drop a few twigs and leaves around it but if it looks out of place or feels out of place to you it probably will for them too. Bait wise if you have a local butcher nearby ask for his spare beef blood, it works wonders.

Last edited by Avenged One; 10-10-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling is hard
Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Avenged One
For the coon hanging a quarter by a string directly above the trap works most of the time. Coons love shiny objects and the quarter will help get his attention. For the fox and coyote try to disguise the trap as best as possible while making it look natural. Drop a few twigs and leaves around it but if it looks out of place or feels out of place to you it probably will for them too. Bait wise if you have a local butcher nearby ask for his spare beef blood, it works wonders.
Some old school butchers sell Rumen/Tripe (first stomach of cows and Sheep) as Dog food. It has a strong odor and most predators go nuts over the stuff.

Second best is cheep fish Cat food. Old Chicken also works well, Rats seem particularly fond of it.

Rumen has a high bacteria content and smells really strong really quick, works well as a cover scent. Handle the stuff like toxic waste, double plastic bags, any accidents and Mom is likely to go ballistic. I found out about that stuff the hard way.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-10-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Spike

I am using duke 1.5 coil springs for my pocket sets, and I am running DPs. For pocket set baits, I am using sardines, and for the DPs, I am using cat food, fish oil, marshmallows, and coon crack. I am hoping that I can catch a few mink in the pocket sets too. Where are we at with fur prices in terms of prime coons. I have been hearing 8 bucks. Not what it used to be. Best o luck to you guys this season
Old 12-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Raccoons will eat anything. Dead mice included. Garbage can full of house hold garbage attracts them.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

"house hold garbage attracts them." Blur

Enough said ??

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-30-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do not hang anything above a trap as has been recommended in this thread. That is illegal in PA. Feathers and fur bait may not be able to be seen from the air. Remember, you need a furtaking license to trap and hunt fur in PA and while coyotes may be hunted without a furtaking license, they may not be hunted without one.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have intermittent problems with skunks, possums and coons around my bee hives. A live trap with a honey coated begal catches them. a 22lr from my single six solves the problem till an new one moves in the area.

Al
Old 06-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Spike

Default Peat Moss for Traps

Last year in my predator sets I had trouble with my traps freezing. I heard of people using peat moss as an anti-freeze method. So I picked some up myself. I ground it until it was pretty fine. I'm not sure if I should dry it before I use it or what. Any suggestions would be great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.