Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes

Old 07-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Spike

I have a hard time with just waiting I like to be actively calling or something.. I have found a few dens... and I do day scout not as much as when I started.. I pretty much know my sets.. and honey holes...

I just bought a 55 gal drum of some bait(isnt sold as coyote bait)... It something different and is working amazingly, I dont wanna give away my secret lol...

its the simplest thing but most would never guess it..
Old 07-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jayatnight
I have a hard time with just waiting I like to be actively calling or something.. I have found a few dens... and I do day scout not as much as when I started.. I pretty much know my sets.. and honey holes...

I just bought a 55 gal drum of some bait(isnt sold as coyote bait)... It something different and is working amazingly, I dont wanna give away my secret lol...

its the simplest thing but most would never guess it..
At my age, just sitting is the better alternative. Walking miles over broken ground is something I do with trepidation, old joints hurt. My days of running with the hounds are over with.

Kentucky fried Chicken is always a good bait. I sometimes raid the dumpster behind KFC and load up 20 pounds of Chicken bones. Put them in a few plastic buckets and hang them in some trees or bushes, wait and see what shows up. I learned that chasing Hog poachers, that is what they do. Check your laws, don't get caught baiting if it is illegal, not worth the possible trouble.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Spike

for coyote it is legal here.. there pretty much no laws against them.. I called the DNR about it... I mean I sure there is some, but generally things are legal for intelligent people to use..

and the odd thing is I dont see many foxes in the off season either so I dont worry about shooting a fox...

plus I am hunting on a cattle farm so they are varmints to him so I think all things are legal... for coyotes anyways... and hogs..
Old 01-02-2020, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is an old post but a guy that hunts deer at the same property that I do in Loudoun County, Virginia recently had a pretty harrowing experience. He was walking up to one of our fixed stands, fairly deep in the woods at about 7:00 am when he was surrounded by 10-12 coyotes. They kept circling him, getting as close as 5 yards, totally unafraid. Their mistake as my friend had a .308 AR platform rifle. He let loose about 10 rounds, both in front and behind him. He later recovered four that he shot.

I have heard coyotes at that location but have never actually seen any. I understand that this behavior is way out of the ordinary as most coyotes will take off at the sight of a human. My only guess is that the behavior might change with a large pack, which in itself is unusual. Maybe he was near the den?

In any case the hunting group I manage is going to start looking into some lethal methods, not so much for population control, more to make sure that the coyotes maintain a healthy fear of humans.

Last edited by hubby11; 01-04-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Start a new topic (in this forum) with any questions or even just comments that you have. As you can see, there are several members who will likely respond.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

When they from bigger packs and get really brazen, where I hunted Yotes, was mostly due to the food supply. They'd avoid the suburbs except in the late fall, Cats and small dogs were at peril-. Gets dry in So:Cal in the fall, the rodent population goes way down, also the pups are out of the den and hunting which also lowers the food supply. When it is a choice between taking a chance and starving they are gonna take a chance.

That and some of it has to do with conditioning. Yotes or Fox that are used to humans (that aren't shooting at them) tend to be less shy.

Story about Yotes, I was at a famous desert spring where most of the desert wildlife could be seen. Signs up telling people to stay at least a hundred yards away from the spring and to use binoculars. A female Yote with her teets hanging came to drink, some foolish woman thought it would be a good idea to offer the Yote some food. And then made a really dumb mistake tried to feed the Mamma Yote by hand. That Yote took the Pork Chop and pieces of most of her fingers.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-03-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I was still on the job in PA I got called to the lobby one day to talk to a gentleman who wanted to talk to a Conservation Officer. I went to the lobby and met him and he proceeded to tell me he was hiking and scouting in the blue mountains, he was high on a ridge when he encountered thick mountain laurel that he could not walk through so he got down no all fours and crawled along a deer trail until he popped out into an opening where there were 6 or 7 coyotes laying down. He said they immediately jumped up and attacked him. He showed me his torn jacket and bites on his lower arms and hands. He was set upon by the coyotes, I think out of fear from being surprised when he popped into their space rather than as prey because his wounds were not all that severe. I thanked him for the information and also told him to see his Dr and be guided by whatever the Doc tells him to do regarding Rabies shots. There have been other incidents in the news in the state where someone got bitten by a coyote, mostly trying to protect a pet. They are predators and all predators will bite under certain conditions.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is what I found through my research
a western male coyote will tip the scales around 35 pounds, a eastern male will go 50, 60, even 70 pounds. all I have read points to the conclusion that when coyotes started expanding east, they could not cross the Mississippi River, so they went north above the Great Lakes, in the north they crossed with grey wolves and various dog breeds. coyotes do not hunt in packs, wolves do, carrying this trait when food gets scarce, and the weather is bad, they pack up and when packed their fear of humans is not as great as when they are paired up. I personally have killed eastern coyotes to 51 pounds, by far larger than their western cousins.
RR
Old 01-05-2020, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

There has been quite a bit of research in PA on coyotes. Most of the animals tested had wolf DNA in them. In addition they moved into the state from north to south, we had them in the northern tier counties before we had them in the central and southern counties. We not have them in all 67 counties, even Philadelphia County. The incident I described above took place in Dauphin Co. which is in the southeast part of the state.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the additional info. I put together a little info page for my hunting group, taking some information from some state DFG sites, from some online articles, and this thread. Some of the interesting facts:

The eastern coyote, Canis latrans var., is found throughout the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada. Recent research shows the eastern coyote is an immigrant, the origin of which likely involved interbreeding between coyotes and gray wolves. New genetic tests show that all eastern coyotes are actually a mix of three species: coyote, wolf and dog. The percentages vary, dependent upon exactly which test is applied and the geographic location of the canine.

Coyotes in the Northeast are mostly (60%-84%) coyote, with lesser amounts of wolf (8%-25%) and dog (8%-11%). Start moving south or east and this mixture slowly changes. Virginia animals average more dog than wolf (85%:2%:13% coyote:wolf:dog) while coyotes from the Deep South had just a dash of wolf and dog genes mixed in (91%:4%:5% coyote:wolf:dog). Tests show that there are no animals that are just coyote and wolf (that is, a coywolf), and some eastern coyotes that have almost no wolf at all. Other studies indicate that the eastern coyote is intermediate in size and shape between gray wolves and western coyotes. Coyotes are so resilient that killing them, even in great numbers, just doesn't have much effect. Decades ago, several Western states tried to reduce coyote numbers through poisoning, trapping, and bounty hunting. But wildlife officials found that 70 percent of the entire population had to be killed every year to make a dent in the numbers — almost an impossible target. Coyotes also have a biological mechanism that triggers larger litters whenever their numbers drop. So as soon as any type of bounty ends, the population jumps right back.

--------------------------------

Today my hunting group went to our property to check the area for coyote sign. We believe we found two dens; one higher on the rocky ridge-line of the property, another in some thick stuff a bit further down. Both were cleverly set up - good drainage and hard to spot until you were right on top of them. We messed up the dens a bit and left some of our own personal "sign." One of my hunters has taken 5-7 from of the pack including likely at least one from the alpha pair. I doubt that will have any long term effect on the population, but hopefully we have busted up the pack enough to ensure they have a healthy fear of humans. Our situation with this property is somewhat unusual give our primary responsibility is deer population control - it's a vineyard - so despite our dislike of the 'yotes, we have to admit that a few of them are beneficial in culling some fawns in the spring. As long as they don't pose a danger to humans we can tolerate them.