Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes

Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes

Does anyone feel like these are almost complete different beast.. I watch utube clip of out west and you see dogs running in full speed(maybe its just the fact of vantage point for better videos??)..and I am sure wind is much more of a factor in the west...(Also not saying coyote hunting out west is easier by any means..)

Here in North Georgia yes you do get that rarely for me anyways.. but I feel they usually come right to the edge and just sit and wait.. then either come 5 yrd closer then sit again or just try to run thru the woods to wind you or just leave.. unless you day scout for their trails across fields but they usually run hedge rolls and what not here.. Just what I have experienced so far.. I feel like bait piles in the future for me... to maybe try to get them farther out in the fields..

Not saying by any means I am 100% correct... would just like to hear others opinion on this topic....

maybe The land can't support nearly as dense a population as what you have back east. Whereas in KY/IN/OH/GA you can easily support 1 cow per acre, here it is more like 30 to 100 acres per cow. That kind of pressure on the ecosystem is why you see predators running to a distress animal call here, they are hungry, and the food sources are widely scattered. Another reason they run in, they are trying to beat the competition to that meal.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy has to hunt coyotes differently in different terrain. More cover and more topography means the coyotes will approach differently than they will in less cover. I really don't think it's anything more than that. If you find open spaces in the east or west, the dogs will respond to the same set design. If you find closed in or hilly terrain in east or west, the dogs will respond the same.

Hunting pressure and human presence based on geography is another factor, but in the same conditions, longitude and latitude is irrelevant. You're just more likely to find a certain condition out east than you would out west, and vice versa.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:09 AM
Spike

So in other words us dumb humans.. are giving these creatures too much credit Lol... To make us not look dumb =P
Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually don't go out Yote hunting, most times it is for a specific pack or individual. They often do get into a routine.

I have the best luck switching up my tactics.

Out west it is often water, which can be a tiny seep. Water is often scarce.

The border between two packs territory, there is often what I call the poop wars, I mean piles of the stuff in one spot.

Find a seep, make a brush pile nearby, throw Corn into the brush pile. Mice and Rabbits will show up. Yotes will show up. In fact after they have caught some meals there, they will return again and again.

When the farmers mow the fields for silage, those mowers kill a lot of Mice. Yotes will show up. The can smell that smorgasbord from a long way off.

Later in the Summer, early Fall the younguns are out hunting with the adults. The young ones make more mistakes.

Dens are used for generations. Maybe not every year, but many years. And there is often a second den close by to move too when the first choice gets flea infested. You get a feel after awhile where the dens are likely to be. Most often someplace with good drainage, reasonably dry.

I often just sit in a good spot with a wide view and just study the terrain. Most times you can pick out the likely paths, the places they visit often. I've had poor luck trying to out sneak them, but have out thought them. They tend to use the farm roads in the early morning and avoid the tall dew covered grass. Not a rule just tendency.

I've set up a ground blind right out in the open, near a frequently used farm or forestry road and had them walk very near. I spot the tracks after a rain, tracks coming and going are a tip off they use this way often.

Out West many of the Yotes seem to have longer legs, same with the Bobcats, they have to cover more territory.

National geographic survey topo maps often show any signs of water and show the tiny seeps. You have to look close, but they are often there. The topo maps often show seeps that are dry most of the year.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree all animals that live in different terrains, react differently and live differently

I wouldn;t say there any dumber or smarter, they just adapt based on there danger levels
where they have more room to roam and a lot less pressure, and also, due to less FOOD< they tend to just commit more aggressively than eastern one's IMO
Eastern Coyotes have a more dangers to avoid, more contact with humans and easier meals, there home ranges are not so barren, and a wider range of things they can eat

its the same animal, but different
I say this a lot even with there deer

I like to think of wilderness area bears and rural living bears as being this way too
the same critter,m but they view everything differently and should be treated differently and hunted differently!
Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually there is a difference between eastern and western coyotes, while the scientists have not separated the two by scientific name, blood DNA tests on eastern coyotes has shown that they are interbred with wolves, which is why they are for the most part larger than their western cousins. I hail from PA and we also have had coyotes in our state since the late 40s or early 50s in certain areas of the state. Now we have them in all areas including Philadelphia.

Below is just one publication on the subject, there are many. This is from CT DNR.

Coyote
Background
Coyotes were not originally found in Connecticut, but have extended their range eastward during the last 100 years from the western plains and midwestern United States, through Canada and into the northeastern and mid-Atlantic states. Coyotes were first reported in Connecticut in the mid-1950s. For the next 10 years, most coyote reports were from northwestern Connecticut. Coyotes eventually expanded their range throughout the entire state and are now a part of Connecticut’s ecosystem. The coyote is one wildlife species that has adapted to human-disturbed environments and can thrive in close proximity to populated areas.

Range
Originally an inhabitant of the western plains of the United States, the coyote now occurs from Alaska south into Central America and east from the Atlantic Provinces to the southeastern United States.

Description
A typical coyote resembles a small, lanky German shepherd, but several characteristics distinguish it from a dog. Coyotes tend to be more slender and have wide, pointed ears; a long, tapered muzzle; yellow eyes; slender legs; small feet; and a straight, bushy tail which is carried low to the ground. The pelage (fur) is usually a grizzled-gray color with a cream-colored or white underside, but coloration is variable with individuals having blonde, reddish, and charcoal coat colors. Coat color does not vary between the sexes. Most coyotes have dark hairs over the back and a black-tipped tail, which has a black spot near its base covering a distinctive scent gland. However, not all coyotes have the black markings.

The eastern coyote is larger than its western counterpart. Most adults are about 48-60 inches long from nose to tail and weigh between 30 to 50 pounds, with males typically weighing more than females.

Habitat and Diet
Coyotes are opportunistic and use a variety of habitats, including developed areas like wooded suburbs, parks, beaches, and office parks. Their ability to survive and take advantage of food sources found in and around these “man-made” habitats has resulted in an increase in coyote sightings and related conflicts. A coyote’s diet consists predominantly of mice, woodchucks, squirrels, rabbits, deer, some fruits, carrion, and when available, garbage. Some coyotes will also prey on small livestock, poultry, and small pets. In Connecticut, unsupervised pets, particularly outdoor cats and small dogs (less than 25 pounds) are vulnerable to coyote attacks.

Life History
Coyotes are monogamous. The male and female usually maintain pair bonds for several years. In Connecticut, the breeding season is from January to March, and the gestation period is about 63 days. Although adults can dig their own dens, they often enlarge an abandoned woodchuck or fox burrow. Pups are born in spring (April to mid-May), and litters range in size from 1 to as many as 12 pups; the average in Connecticut is 7. Both adults care for the young and will readily move them if disturbed. Pups are weaned at about 6 to 8 weeks and begin foraging and hunting with the adults when they are 8 to 13 weeks old.

The family group usually breaks up in fall or early winter when the young disperse. Young coyotes may travel long distances in search of new territories, giving this species a rapid potential for colonization. Although nearly full grown by their ninth month, eastern coyotes may not breed until they are nearly 2 years old.

Interesting Facts
Eastern coyotes are generally larger in size than their western counterparts. Recent genetic research has attributed the eastern coyote's larger size to interbreeding with Canadian gray wolves.

Coyotes are biologically able to reproduce with domestic dogs, although because of several barriers, they rarely do. For instance, both male and female coyotes are fertile for only a short time during the year. Also, young coydogs rarely survive because male domestic dogs that breed with female coyotes do not remain with her to assist with parental care. The offspring of a coyote/domestic dog mating are often infertile.

Coyotes use a variety of vocalizations to communicate with one another. Howls, yelps, and high-pitched cries are best known, but they also bark, growl, wail, and squeal. Family groups yelping in unison can create the illusion of a dozen or more performing together. Coyotes are most often heard around dawn and dusk. However, they may respond to sirens and fire whistles at any time of day or night.

A coyote’s social unit consists of the adult pair and their young; they may be encountered singly, in pairs, or in groups of three or more. Mated pairs maintain territories which are scent-marked and defended against other coyotes as well as foxes.

A coyote's sense of hearing, sight, and smell are well developed.

Coyotes normally run as fast as 25 to 30 miles an hour, but can run 35 to 40 miles an hour when pursued. They are also strong swimmers.

Living with Coyotes
As coyotes have become more common, public concerns about coyotes attacking pets and people, especially children, have increased. Although some coyotes may exhibit bold behavior near people, the risk of a coyote attacking a person is extremely low. This risk can increase if coyotes are intentionally fed and then learn to associate people with food.

Coyotes will attack and kill pets, especially cats and small dogs (less than 25 pounds). The best way to protect pets is to not allow them to run free. Cats should be kept indoors, particularly at night, and small dogs should be on a leash and under close supervision at all times. The installation of a kennel or coyote-proof fencing is a long-term solution for protecting pets. In addition, homeowners should eliminate other sources of attraction to coyotes including pet food left outdoors, table scraps on compost piles, and decaying fruit below fruit trees.

Coyotes will attack a variety of livestock but sheep and fowl are at greatest risk. Coyotes pose very little danger to horses and cattle. The probability of a coyote attack can be reduced by penning susceptible livestock and poultry at night. Some fences effectively exclude coyotes but require careful maintenance. Guard dogs have been used successfully to reduce coyote depredation. The removal and proper disposal of dead poultry or livestock is highly recommended as a preventive measure. Carrion left in the open may attract coyotes and bring them into close and more frequent contact with live animals. Livestock owners may use trapping or shooting to remove coyotes that have attacked their animal stock.

Coyotes seen near homes or in residential areas rarely threaten human safety. Coyotes are abundant across North America, yet only a very small number of attacks on humans have ever been reported. Like many animals, coyotes can grow accustomed to buildings and human activity.

NEVER feed coyotes! DO NOT place food out for any mammals. Homeowners should eliminate any food sources that may be attractive to coyotes. Clean up bird seed below feeders, pet foods, and fallen fruit. Secure garbage and compost in animal-proof containers.

You can attempt to frighten away coyotes by making loud noises (shouting, air horn, or banging pots and pans) and acting aggressively (e.g., waving your arms, throwing sticks, spraying with a garden hose). Homeowners should realize that if they live near suitable habitat, fencing may be the only method to completely eliminate coyotes from travelling near homes. In rare cases, efforts to remove coyotes may be justified.

Coyotes are most active at night but may be active during daylight hours, particularly during the young-rearing period and longer days of summer. Daytime activity alone is not indicative of rabies. Coyotes appear to have low susceptibility to the “raccoon” or mid-Atlantic strain of rabies found in Connecticut. Coyotes are susceptible to strains of rabies that occur elsewhere in North America and to the other common canine diseases, such as canine distemper. Sarcoptic mange, a parasitic disease, can affect large numbers of coyotes, particularly when the population is dense and the chance of transmission is high. In Connecticut, many are also killed on roadways by automobiles.

It is legal to trap and hunt coyotes in Connecticut. Hunters and trappers are required to follow strict laws and regulations. Hunters and trappers are required to report and tag coyote pelts before they are sold, tanned, or mounted. There are special provisions for using land sets to trap coyotes on private land from December 1 through January 31. For more information on coyote hunting and trapping seasons, consult the Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The hybrid eastern coyotes referred to in the Connecticut guide don't range as far south as Jay is hunting.

And for what it's worth - calling the north eastern coy wolf hybrids, or even straight up pure bred wolves, really isn't so different than calling coyotes, in terms of set up, nor is hunting fox either. They use the terrain and cover the same way. Watch a domesticated dog travel in the country and you'll see the same patterns. They do seem to come into sets differently between species, Wolves are a little more brazen, fox come in and out a little more speedy, but largely calling canine predators has been very similar for me in every state and country in which I have hunted them. The terrain makes the difference, which is only partially driven by zip code. Hills in Maine hunt the same as hills in Texas, woods in North Carolina hunt the same as woods in Minnesota, open flats in Kansas hunt the same as open flats in Arizona...

It is, however, a very different feeling the first time you see a wolf in the crosshairs when you're used to coyotes. It's a shame the hunting seasons are so variable in the states, and equally that Canada doesn't allow hunting with handguns.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I only posted because Jay asked the question if they are different critters. I don't know where he lives or where he hunts. I just thought it would be interesting to people who didn't know there is a genetic difference in some populations.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this, a big western is 35-38 pounds will bring 75-100 bucks on the market, a big eastern is 60-70 pounds and is worth 15. there has to be a difference.
RR
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know I read something that said eastern coyotes tend to have more wolf dna in them... and are more of a hybrid than western which are more pure coyote.

From what I've observed eastern are bigger/stockier, and I have seen them run together, not sure you'd call it a pack, which is a wolf quality where out west I believe they tend to be solo almost all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.