HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Eastern Coyotes vs Western Coyotes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/407092-eastern-coyotes-vs-western-coyotes.html)

MudderChuck 06-20-2016 06:24 AM

Maybe you should try changing up tactics. I always ask myself, who, what, where, when, and why (then maybe how many). I try to figure out what they are doing and why.

I had my best luck calling early in the evening, early night, they are beginning the hunt and hungry.

I had my best luck ambush hunting early morning, after the hunt and they are heading back to the den. This time of year they likely have a den and pups to feed. They tend to head home in a fairly straight line.

There are no real rules, just tendencies. I've also caught them coming from the den in the early morning, best guess is because they had slim pickings the night before and are going out for a second hunt before it gets too hot. They likely have a family to feed. Never tried it, but calling and hour or so after sunrise might get one of those late hunters.

I'm not nearly as canny as I make myself out to be. I remember sitting in one spot on and off for a couple of weeks. I'd seen Yotes off in the distance to my left and heard them in the thickets to my right. Took me a couple of weeks to notice a narrow path right next to a barbed wire fence line overgrown with grass (maybe a couple of hundred yards off). That is how they were getting from my left to my right. Slapped forehead here and called myself a dumbass. The very next morning I set up on that path and popped an old Yote with no tail. I have no idea where his tail went, funny looking Yote.

Been my experience after a successful hunt and/or it gets to late to hunt (suns up) they often tend to make a bee line back to the Den in the late spring/early summer.

When they first start hunting in the early evening they tend to visit their favorite hunting hot spots first. Their travels seem erratic, but often predictable in a broad sort of way.

Like I said there are no real rules just tendencies, about the time you think you have it figured out, one will pop up real close coming from a completely unexpected direction.

About time now for the first Hay cut (depending on the rainfall). I've had really good luck setting up near a freshly cut field. Two reasons, the cut grass makes hunting Mice much easier for the Yotes and the mower kills a lot of Mice and saves all the work of hunting them. Cut grass makes a pretty good background for night hunting. full Moon right now.

Something else I've noticed is their Den is often close to a good food supply. I Mean real close like 50-100 yards from a field that often full of Rabbits or a Pond where the Ducks nest. They often use those Dens for generations.

Sheridan 06-22-2016 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jayatnight (Post 4262391)
Ya but I enjoy the Challenge!!! harder to find good sets and when you do they tend to pay off well..

my problem is june to so hot and humid in Georgia.. that you cant move without stinking everything up for miles.. only 2 coyotes in june so far.. plus there is like 10 million baby cotton tails out..

I saw a couple last night about 400+ yrds off...

they seemed like they have already fed.. cause they showed very lil interest in my call..

One thing I have learned; if you see them regularly "off in the distance"......................you need to move and set-up over there (maybe another day).

Same concept with duck hunting - you need to be where the ducks want to be.

Good luck - don't educate them, until you are "ready" to kill them !!!

jayatnight 06-23-2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4262671)
One thing I have learned; if you see them regularly "off in the distance"......................you need to move and set-up over there (maybe another day).

Same concept with duck hunting - you need to be where the ducks want to be.

Good luck - don't educate them, until you are "ready" to kill them !!!

I feel the same way.. I let them walk often and just sit and watch... when they way off... my thermal scope just cant handle it..

better to let hem walk then train them like you said..

I also do that when I see a large group next time I come to those sets I try to set up good around that area... I pretty much hunt from the bed of my truck..

MudderChuck 06-23-2016 09:09 PM

I made a ground blind out of PVC pipe, each panel fits in the bed of my pickup. Made it along the lines of a Guillie suit instead of using camouflage cloth, the panels aren't even completely covered, just enough to break up my outline, no top just the sides. I used batches of synthetic type material that dries fast, some bundles of string, shredded cloth etc, and some of that fishnet you can buy for patio decorations. Cable ties to hold the whole works together. Sometimes I add some dried grass or small branches.

Best results are early morning when the dew is settling, damps down your scent some. A light rain is even better.

I've set up right out in the middle of a road, in a table flat field and had Fox walk to within 30 yards of me.

Just a guess but I think they get used to looking for danger in the bushes, the trees or where ever and setting up in an unexpected spot sometimes fools them. I've had it work for both Fox and Hogs, they don't seem to expect danger in a flat open field. Likely to also work for Yotes.

I have a back pack that is also a folding stool. The panels are less than thirty pounds (best guess 7 pounds each). I can carry the whole works in one trip for a reasonable distance. And set up in ten minutes or less.

You just have to be silent and sit still, if they don't scent you or hear you or see you they can get really close. Whether they scent you or not is mostly just luck.

The top PVC pipe of each panel has a wood dowel inside of the tube, makes it more rigid.

Be aware of where your bullet is going if it passes all the way through. Shooting at ground level has it downsides.

jayatnight 07-02-2016 05:29 PM

hell that should work just fine.... This is how I hunt.." />

at night of course... i still wear a gilly suit while sitting up there... but they dont really seem to mind.. when they are 200 yrds off..

MudderChuck 07-02-2016 08:32 PM

A buddy and myself (I weld) made up something similar in a 3/4 ton open trailer. Took us awhile to get all the squeaks out. Hogs have really good ears, the tiniest unnatural sound and they disappear.

Worked out well after we got the bugs worked out. We set up near a field the Hogs had been raiding. And leave the trailer there for days or a week or until the hogs have moved on. The trick to quiet it down is trailer jacks at four corner to take some of the weight off of the springs, indoor outdoor carpet and grease.

The law here is no shooting from a motorized vehicle. Some states you have to be fifty feet from a vehicle. The reason we use trailers.

I got really good at stopping my truck, bailing out and shooting with both feet on the ground. I've nailed a lot of Fox that way. I also surprised a dope dealer who was harassing one of my girls with that move, surprised the heck out of him. Like a fast draw, it just takes practice. He found me standing behind the bed and rear tire aiming over my pickup bed, before he could get his pistol out of his man purse. Looking down the barrel of that twelve gauge he found Jesus (or Allah), I guess it sobered him up, as far as I know he has been flying straight ever since.

jayatnight 07-03-2016 03:05 AM

well as u can see in that pic i have like a half inch piece of rubber foam... but like you said it was still lil to squeaky.. I am also a welder... But I made another.. and this this is what im using now... much more solid... I have since cut the legs and made it alil lower felt to high up..

Ya I have done the same with my 870 12 gauge on foxes.. just jump out and throw it up and boom.. I even called in a grey fox while moving in the truck lol.. I guess you could say he was gonna make it very long anyways being that dumb.. but greys here will come darting right past the truck.... red tend to like to stay 100 yrd out for me.. usually how I can tell what im hunting..

I also drilled some holes where I could put cotton balls in to spray cover scents on.. even tho many ppl think its a waste for coyotes.. I still use skunk cover.. It seem to work for me...

" />

MudderChuck 07-03-2016 08:25 AM

Fox and Yotes, the dumb ones are the first to go. Then things can get really interesting. We got a mandate from the county to thin out the Fox as much as possible because they were carrying some super nasty parasite.

The darned (surviving) Fox would hear my exhaust tone from a mile away and head for the hills. Then I got really sneaky until they caught onto that. I finally had to switch areas and let things settle down some.

I don't worry much about scent, I always figure whatever I try is unlikely to help much. My dog once popped up from a sound sleep and went to point in the back seat of my Jeep, a Fox at four hundred yards. I always figure Yotes and Fox can scent nearly as well as my hound can. I do wash myself with unscented soap and I'm careful not to use scented or whiter and brighter laundry detergent on my hunting clothes. I hang my hunting clothes outside.

I learned something about reflected light in the military. It may look OK to you, but may actually glow for wildlife. We had optics that let you see farther into the IR and UV light spectrum and you could see what some of the animals see. It stuck with me into the way I think while hunting. Camouflage doesn't mean much if it glows in the dark. I think it is more the motion that spooks them and the reflective clothing (they see) makes it easier for them to see the motion.

I've had some success with Nuoc Mam as a cover scent. I use it sometimes in places with a swirling wind. The trick is to spread some around a week or two before you hunt that spot. Nuoc Mam smells like a Tijuana brothel, really nasty stuff. I've had no trouble finding it in a small town in the middle of Germany, should be common in most any oriental mom and pop store. If you do try Nuoc Mam treat it like toxic waste, I spilled some in the back of my Jeep, stank for months. Side note, I saw the biggest Buck I'd seen in decades sniffing a bush I had sprinkled with Nuoc Mam. I don't know if it was curiosity or it reminded him of a brothel also. :)

jayatnight 07-03-2016 12:28 PM

Ya I have read alot about uv... I put all gully suit and hunting clothes in a big duck bag i have thats waterproof... and spray them down with uv block and no scent...

I am with you also that they can smell ya anyways.. but I feel it still does not hurt..

with all the fumes from the truck plus all the smell from a truck plus skunk and me..

maybe it might confuse their nose.. idk.. I am pissing in the wind here... just sometime I do...

I have tried spreading some stuff on set... We only had luck with that when we trapped... and I am to lazy to run trap line and set them constantly..

plus I enjoy the sport of actually calling one in.. But like you said I have done took all the dumb ones out..

now im stuck with a challenge when I go.. When I set up.. I always end up seeing coyotes at another set Lol... Sooo I guess most of the time its luck of the draw..

I actually use one of my friends dog as a guide to what coyotes are doing.. its a complete free dog that never is fed and roams on a 1000 acre farm.. she destroys coons or anything she sees..

Alot of the time she will be lazy all day(right now in this 100 degree heat) then when she start getting active I will go set up and its almost like she behaves just like coyotes..

MudderChuck 07-03-2016 07:33 PM

I never did call much, my thing was mostly ambush. I walk a wide circle after a rain and find tracks, either overlapping from more than one day or coming and going and set up there abouts. About half of their wandering seems to be random, just following their nose or ears in search of a meal, the other half is habit. It is their territory and they do form habits.

With the really sneaky ones it turns into a war of wits, they usually win, they have better senses and some are smarter than I am.

After the hunt I let my dog follow some tracks, if you like walking you can likely spot their den. If you hunt one area for years you can spot a lot of dens. Which kind of levels the playing field and tips the balance into your favor.

One trick I did use was to dig some holes (maybe two feet deep) with a post hole digger and toss some offal into the hole. I only used it in places where there was little chance of a Cow or Horse wandering by, a prime spot was an area fenced off to prevent the Deer from eating young trees, fences don't mean much to Yotes or Fox. Baiting for anything is forbidden some places. Shooting a Yote or Fox with it's head in a hole and it's rear end in the air is fairly easy.

If you have any agriculture where you hunt, those big rolls of Hay the dairy farmers leave stacked in a field are a prime spot for Fox or Yotes. They turn into Mouse and Rat hotels, the Fox even den there.