Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

hii Jay here new here

Old 06-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Spike

Default hii Jay here new here

28 yrs old live in North Ga.. been heavy coyote hunting for about 6 months now...(after they killed my favorite squirrel dog)...

I am shooting an Daniel Defense 5.56 with a 16" 1:7 twist barrel wish it was 18" ... shooting 63g soft points... my thermal scope is an apex50a and boy do I love it...

I do most of my hunting out of the back of my truck.. hunting most hay fields... Sadly no corn farmer will let me hunt..

Been a good season for me so far around 40 coyotes down since 2016 has started... aiming for at least 100 this year..

I would post up pic of the awesome coyote bone yard I had going until someone cleaned it up =/...

Here is my youtube channel.. There is many thermal hunt videos thru my scope... like and subscribe there will be plenty more to come!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChY...zj_g_-uUhkG-lw

I use all hand calls.. I feel all these eastern coyotes seem to know the caller loops.. But I do not have a 500 dollar fox pro either so that might be why!!!

If you have any question of anything I would love to chat.. Its hard to find actual coyote hunters around here.. Lots of talk and no action...
Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you're serious abut it if you already have 40 under your belt this year! Hope you get every one you see, as they take a lot of game birds and animals, especially newborn fawns this time of the year.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Keep stacking them up Jay. Welcome to HNI.
-Jake
Old 06-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you can, please consider posting some of your hunting strategies for other members. We can always learn something new and it builds up the website's brand.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Spike

So far this year all I have been using is mouse/vole hand calls..

but that seems to be drying up.. no luck last 3 hunts..

maybe I will start trying more pup in distress..

It is so hot and muggy here in Ga... It seems they are doing all their hunting during the day and at like 4 am

I also built me a redneck turret with a bass boat seat and I welded up a gun rail lol.. I will take and post up some pics...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome look forward to get to knowing everyone!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

$3,500 optic on top of a $1,500 AR, then complaining FoxPro's are too expensive? C'mon now!

Sounds like you're whacking and stacking out East, hard to complain about that!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:52 AM
Spike

dont forget the 150 battery pack and 200 dvr in there hehe!!!

I know Nomercy I dont know what it is i just cant drop the money on the fox pro...

I guess I just dont have faith in e callers in the east.. Never seen anyone do any good with them

but Most of the time I feel Like my hand calls sound terrible also... Soo who knows =/ lol

and thx

Last edited by jayatnight; 06-12-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

ICO Tec calls have very good reviews and do not cost 500.00.

GC500 - Programmable 185.00 from the factory.

GC350 - Programmable 135.00 from the factory.

I own the GC350 and it has worked out very well here in Michigan.

I don't have 40 kills but I have not been out 40 times this year yet. Today is 60 days I have been laid up Recovering from TKR.
Just installed 24 new sounds on a SD card yesterday.

Al
Old 06-12-2016, 04:53 AM
Spike

I have an icotech gc300.... and down here in Georgia it seems to be useless... To many coyote hunters buying them and running the exact same call.. in my opinion...

I have been tending to do best with really random sounding vole/mouse sounds up to now(really slowing down gonna stop using it probably)

then an open reed that is really raspy and just make random distress calls.. I dont really aim for any perfect sounding cotton tail in distress or anything.. more of just something getting destroyed...

I may try the eco tech... when mating season comes around.. but then again... I still think a female hand caller would work better...

I also do a lot of day scouting.. I run different calls if I think its just more of a runway.. or if they are using that path to go to a den..
Old 06-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't buy the whole premise - no matter how popular it seems to be online these days - that e-callers aren't as productive as hand calls, just because "everyone has the same callers..."

Remember - there's only one company in the USA which makes 100% of the internal reeds for hand calls, and they only make a handful of models of reeds.

So technically, there are more different sounds available on E-callers than there are in hand calls!

In reality, it's all about set up. Either can be successful. I've called predators from Maine to California and Florida to Washington, both with handcalls as well as e-callers. As they say - it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools.

And of course, it's pretty easy to see how productive e-callers can be when you take count at tournaments. Most of the top spots are held by e-callers, simply because of how the tournament rules work out - focused on productivity.

It doesn't take a $500 foxpro to be successful either. I called boatloads of dogs over a Foxpro Spitfire which was under $200 when I bought it. He11, I called lots of dogs over a RECORD PLAYER with an old Edison type phonograph horn when I was a kid (later upgraded with magnetic speakers and 100ft of wire to move the sound away from my position). Call collecting, including E-callers, is a hobby of mine, so I have a lot more than $500 into E-callers, but I have a WHOLE LOT MORE than $500 into my handcalls (I have a couple individual calls which were that much!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.