HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Frog Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/406933-frog-hunting.html)

CabinOutdoors 06-05-2016 08:55 AM

Frog Hunting

Just wondering if any one goes frog hunting on here?

I live in Illinois and the frog season starts in 10 days.

Robbburgess 06-05-2016 07:06 PM

I go every weekend, our season started in april and runs threw december 18 frog limit 36 possesion limit im lucky i have quite a few ponds owned by local farmers i get to gig

MikeMike 06-06-2016 07:37 AM

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you hunt frogs?

edit: Just realized it took me 11 years to post my first post :)
See you guys again in 2027...

Topgun 3006 06-06-2016 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMike (Post 4261235)

Mostly with what is called a gig. It's got a few pointed, barbed tines and is a few inches wide on a long pole and you stick them with it.

Bocajnala 06-06-2016 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMike (Post 4261235)

MikeMike, you hold the record for least posts per day! I have in Ohio many times. Probably will again this year. It opens this Friday here. Hard to beat good frog legs. I also catch snapping turtles.
-Jake

Oldtimr 06-06-2016 11:28 AM

When I still went after frogs I used a bamboo pole with a piece of fishing line and a hook with a piece of red rubber band on the hook. We would sneak around pond banks and Lilly pads til we found a frog, then dangle the hook and rubber band over the frog and they would think it was an insect meal and snap it up and get hooked, we then swung the line and frog back to us and unhooked them and put them in a fish bag till we got home to clean them.

MikeMike 06-07-2016 05:13 AM

It sounds like fun so I had to go and youtube frog hunting.

This guy here is actually shooting them...

jayatnight 06-14-2016 04:53 AM

we have tried shooting them but they sink to fast... have to get them on the bank...

we gig.. when we have been hitting the coyote fields to hard.. and are giving them a break..

I have a stand of that huge bamboo.. Idk the stuff is like strong as steel lol.. I weld for a living so I made a neat 8 pronged gig.. almost impossible to miss..

I would like to try bow fishing but for frogs.. sounds fun but waste of arrows probably lol

WOODCHUCKER 03-02-2017 01:05 PM

Nothing like Breaded Frog legs & some French Fries, & a few Cold ones to wash them down with.? You don't have to be a Redneck, To enjoy this.

rockport 03-12-2017 05:00 PM