Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Never hunted before, What to start off on? >

Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Hello. I am new to this discussion board. I never hunted or fished when I was a kid and now I want to do all of these activities. I figure it could be some fun and a great way to save money. I have my fishing license but I don't have my small game hunting license yet. Before I buy one I'd like to know what are some small animals that I could hunt? Frogs and squirrels were my first guess. How does one go about starting to hunt? I never have in my life before.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Get on your state wildlife site and find out what licenses you need. And what public land is open and when. Then decide what form of firearm you want to hunt with and start practicing. Not sure about saving money by hunting. It can be done but most hunters I know would come out better in the end buying filet mignon at the grocery!! Youtube is a great tool for hunting tactics you got to weed through the morons, but there are some good videos out there. If I was getting started again and wish someone had given me one piece of advice it would be don't caught in the new gimmick hype. If something promises to make it easier or guarantees more kills it probably don't work worth a crap or is very environment specific. Your woodsman skill are way more important then the newest gimmick of the market. You want to kill squirrels study up on squirrel behavior. Same goes for any target animal. You fish so you understand A $500 rod and reel won't help you catch a bass if you don't know where to look for them!
Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Not much we can tell you about what YOU can hunt. We have no Idea where you live so don't know what seasons are open.

Saving money by hunting and fishing, now that is really funny. Maybe if you spread the equipment start up cost over many years and do not buy the latest and greatest you may save some money. Michigan Fire arm deer season for example you need a license, really two now. A base for small game even if you don't want to hunt small game and one for a deer. A rifle, muzzle loader ,pistol or shot gun and that is going to from 200 to 500 depending on new or used and scoped or not on it.

Then there is the warm clothing and boots figure another couple of hundred for that. Free to hunt on land to hunt on is scares here in Michigan during fire arm deer season, Ya lots of state and federal land but are swamped during the first week at least and you would still need a place to stay tent or motel.

If you don't know how or have the things to do your own butchering it will cost from 50 to 100 dollars for that and even more if you want sausage sticks made and other special cuts done.

Better to think of hunting as a reason to be out enjoying the out doors not as a way to save money.

After 54 years I guess I break even hunting, I drive 3 hours to bird hunt, 6 hours to deer hunt and can walk out my backdoor for squirrels, coyotes and even deer when I don't want to travel.

A cane pole from a lake or streams bank is probably the cheapest way to fish and you may save a bit doing it that way.

Have fun.

Al
Old 03-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Spike

I'm located in the deep south. I went to the wildlife hunting & fishing website and it looks like I'm out of season for gray squirrel. Just missed it. The other option I was thinking was hunting frogs for the frog legs, I've read that they are very good to eat. I need to do more research before I go out and do that though. I don't want to get bit by a snake. I went frog hunting years ago with a friend of mine but then I lived in an area where I didn't have to worry about snakes, gators, spiders, and so on... we just used a net and a pellet gun to dispatch the frogs. I fish with a fairly cheap rod and set up and I've caught some nice fish so I feel that it's not necessary to buy really high end, expensive gear-just as you said Tufrthnnails.

alleyyooper, I live in the deep south. Gray squirrel season is over now. I missed it. Yeah maybe I am a little in over my head thinking I can save money by fishing & hunting... then again I've never been one to go out and buy **** I don't need when it has come to all my other hobbies or anything really... I don't plan on hunting any large game such as deer as of now. I'd like to start off small with some squirrels, frogs, maybe some other small game animals. I already liked bike riding, hiking, and other out door activities so I figured I'd take it a step further and get serious about my fishing and even start hunting a little bit.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Eager Beaver if I were you I would look far and wide for a local mentor ! go to sporting goods store, contact game warden even church, you will find a good person to head you in the right direction, You may even make a lifelong pal H H
Old 03-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A mentor, if possible, is great advice. See what your states website says about hunter safety requirements. Your state game dept. may offer beginner hunt programs and you could find a mentor or experienced hunting partners from them.

Smaller species you could hunt are waterfowl/migratory or non migratory game birds. For waterfowl/migratory birds, be aware of HIP requirements. Birds can be tough targets, and expensive hunting for that reason. Rabbit hunting is another consideration when the season comes in. Where rabbit is concerned, look for videos or articles on Tuleremia.

That window of time before the season can be very beneficial. Preparation through species study, shooting practice, learning of available land and scouting it will have you very prepared for season openers.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 03-11-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
Eager Beaver if I were you I would look far and wide for a local mentor ! go to sporting goods store, contact game warden even church, you will find a good person to head you in the right direction, You may even make a lifelong pal H H
That's a good idea I know I still run over and grab my granddad from time to time during small game and we take a walk in the woods and shoot some squirrels it funny he may not remember how to try his shoes, but he can knock a squirrel out of the tree with a .22 with iron sights from 50 yards still.

Also I'm from Lakeland, Florida dead center of the state I've been hunting our swamps for 25 years and I still like having a hunting partner for the safety side of it. If your hunting in my neck of the woods snakes are moving like crazy right now.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

THE FIRST, place to start is with your local Resources office, and get safety training. Then decide the what, how, where and when.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you won't save money initially.... But you will enjoy yourself allot.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Deep south where, I am in the deep south of Michigan but you can go deeper even. The bogie man hasn't knocked on my door either.

Join a sports mans club and you will meet people there who are willing to take a pup under their arm.

Lake Land Florida Watch out for all those tigers prowling that area at this time of year.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.