Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Never hunted before, What to start off on? >

Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Never hunted before, What to start off on?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Spike

Most of us started hunting small game very young. You will learn a lot even by chasing squirrels around in the woods. Get the Hunters Ed done. Most states have a online version too were you complete the lessons and just go in one afternoon for a shoot and a test instead of committing a whole weekend. Also SOME states have a hunters apprentice program were you can hunt with a legal hunter to see if it is something you want to pursue without committing to it all to early. If your just hunting squirrels your legal take method can just be an Air Rifle, though most states have a caliber minimum for different size game. What it is saying by legal take method is just they type of weapons you can legally hunt with. But any Air rifle from walmart will get the job done on them squirrels. They are good eating to so don't be afraid to eat them.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Spike

Hello everyone. Thanks for the new replies. I have a few air rifles (bb/pellet guns) that I bought at walmart about 5 years ago. They have been sitting in the garage for a good while now. Stupid me, I don't think I took the best care of them...

Well I took them outside to do some target shooting the other day and they are pretty damn inaccurate! Any way to fix this? I have a Daisy 880 multi-pump air rifle, a daisy red rider, and a crosman 760 pumpmaster air carbine. The funny thing is... the red rider was probably the most accurate of them all. I was hitting small cambell's soup cans from over 20 yards away haha. I am currently located in Fl. Still have the desire to hunt... I was born after 1975 so going to have to get a hunters safety card. Squirrels arent in season anymore... just missed it. Don't have any relatives besides my immediate family, the ones I grew up with in my household. None of which hunt or have any desire whatsoever to hunt. Don't know anyone in my town that's why I came here to the good ol internet.

Take care.

Last edited by Eager Beaver; 03-24-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

That will help. There are actually quite a few members who live in Florida and can point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Where are you at in FL Eager? depending on where you are I've hunted a lot of the WMA's in central and a few in North FL. I don't mind giving you some help.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chipmunks with BB guns.

BTW - BB guns are even better now, but them chipmunks are still tuff as nail !!!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Chipmunks with BB guns.

BTW - BB guns are even better now, but them chipmunks are still tuff as nail !!!
Hahahahaha!!!!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

Sure hope you can get started, Eager Beaver. It'll give you a lifetime of memories.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 AM
Spike

central fl.

thank you sharps, so do i. i love going fishing these days, think i will enjoy hunting too.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being in Fl, I would highly recommend getting out fishing, alot. You guys have some of the best fishing around and a easy trip to the coast every once in a while, jumping onto a head-boat can land you pounds of meat in no time. As mentioned, doesn't make it cost effective if you get biting by the fishing bug. I have close to $10000 in fishing gear in my garage last I attempted to calculate for insurance purposes and that doesn't include the boat stuff I still have, that is just rods/reels, tackle, lures, bags, etc.

But fishing can be done for cheaper then hunting, and you can do fishing year round while you get set up and prepped for hunting.
1. Hunter Safety Course
2. Licenses
3. Basic gear list (search this site, it has been asked many times)
All the rest is just getting boots on the ground and learning.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Spike

Well... if you live out in the woods.. .and you buy a "cheap" pellet gun rifle and go hunt squirrels I guess you might save some money? I wouldn't call that hunting though.

I am myself starting on this (this will be my first time hunting). My winchester model 70 (used) .270 win, already cost me $500 with a scope. Then I had to buy all the cleaning stuff +~$50. Hunting ed course in VT is free, deer hunting license is $25. Oh and I still need to buy basic gear, and camo stuff. Will I get a deer this season? prob. not... I am probably just going to watch my friend hunt and teach me, if anything, he'll get the deer. Oh, and you have to practice at the range; 20 rounds? at least $20 for my rifle.

I dont' see it as "money saving", but as a way to connect with our true human nature. That is priceless, and adding up all the costs, it is not that far from the costs of skiing.

Last edited by entropy4money; 08-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.