Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Check out this neat female coyote...

Old 02-29-2016, 03:12 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default Check out this neat female coyote...

Gang,

I have had some bad shooting this past weekend as I missed 2 daytime coyotes. I skipped last night because of the high wind and decided to set the alarm a little extra early on Sunday morning. I was setup as the first spot at 5:30 AM. Two lone howls started the set and then I followed up with Cottontail Screams from the Shockwave. At the 5 minute mark I muted the sound and scanned the terrain.

Suddenly, I saw a light in the distance that I had never noticed at this location before. It appeared to be slowly approaching my field. Snowmobile? ATV? I did not know what I was looking at, but it was moving slowly. Now it had crossed a hedgerow and was in my field. I decided to blast it with the FireEye and the light stopped progressing. It must have been someone on foot who was either attracted by my howls or was going to set up somewhere nearby - which would have been trespassing. The light was stationary for a couple of minutes and then went back the way from which it came. I figured the hunt may be over with someone roaming around, but turned the call back on and instantly got eyes approaching... right near where the light just was!!!

At first, I thought that maybe the person had a dog and I was calling that in. However, I could soon see that I was dealing with ta coyote. I was stoked!!

The coyote trotted slowly toward the call and decoy. It zig-zagged all the way in.. never stopping! I must admit that I was shaking like a leaf in the excitement of the hunt. The coyote had its nose down and came in like a blood hound. I could clearly see it was a coyote, but it looked very dark and had very light colored legs. When the coyote got to 100 yards, I was ready to shot. Well, sort of because now I was REALLy shaking. At a time when I should be calm and collected, my only thoughts were "Don't miss, Don't miss"

The coyote stoppled by a makeshift stream of runoff water in the field and I took the shot... nailing the beast in the neck and dropping it on the spot!! I was thrilled and celebrated by myself in the field. I also wondered what the trespasser thought when I took the shot only minutes after he left the field!

I raced off to another farm at daybreak, but not other action was realized.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on taking such a nice big female Yote! Looks like she has some dog in her with that coloration. Nice job!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Good job!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

With that coloration I would have also guessed you shot a domestic dog!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Some ones Husky broke loose?

Al
Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

I shot one with that coloration a week and a half ago and a friend of mine trapped a pair the same color in December 2015
Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

besides the color, the muzzle looks more dog than Yote. Yotes tend to have more of a Fox like muzzle. Maybe it just the angle of the photograph?

Most all dogs have a curved tail.

Likley a mix.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Have you shot others that looked that way? Sorry if I missed it in original post...
-JaKe
Old 03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

It's just a color phase coyote, fellas! And, no, I have never got one this dark.. my color phases are usually the blonde/red variations.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely beautiful..........Wonderful color phase !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.