Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Looking For a Guided Bob Cat Hunt (Midwest) >

Looking For a Guided Bob Cat Hunt (Midwest)

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Looking For a Guided Bob Cat Hunt (Midwest)

Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Looking For a Guided Bob Cat Hunt (Midwest)

I live in iowa looking for a guided bobcat hunt this winter in either Kansas or missouri. I been looking at a few outfitters but I'd like your feedback on success rate and how you liked the outfitter you went with! Thx
Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be hard pressed to believe any hunting guide in any state offers guaranteed successes for bobcat - Coyotes are almost a sure thing given a couple days of hunting and proper preparation, but cats are a different game. I can be sure in Kansas that even hunting in "cat rich" areas, there are no guarantees, not even "high likelihoods". I have a couple spots in Kansas where I'll see cats regularly, but getting a shot on one at that spot might take multiple visits throughout the winter.

The only time you're really able to improve your odds is to hunt right after a fresh snow in an area where cats are thick. That lets you confirm fresh track and limit your hunt to where you know they are "right now". Which - consider what that means too - there's no real way to schedule your hunt around opportunity to snow, especially in Kansas or Missouri.

There are plenty of hunting guides that will give you a good coyote hunt with a good chance of bobcats. If you're OK with that kind of hunt, then call a few outfitters, ask around if they have spots along rivers/creeks with good timber cover and high deadfall or brush piles. Brush-piles in hedge riddled pastures with nearby water tend to be my hottest opportunities for cats.

This year should be a good year for it. I've been seeing more cats this year than normal.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

That's a perfect reply! I know this animal is hard too hunt and your exactly rite how a success rate will very!! I'm just leary on the going rate of $250 a day which could get kinda pricey! I'm not looking to sell just want a full mount...I have a primos turbo dogg so I may be able to just pay a trespass and DIY hunt...thanks for reply
Old 11-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be very interested to hear from you if any outfitters/guides offered guarantees on bobcats even if you committed to a certain number of days.

Bobcats aren't really hard to hunt, necessarily, but they're dumber than a box of roofing nails, so it's hard to get them to come in. Relatively speaking, they're easier to set up for than coyotes because they aren't as wary and don't have such good noses, but they'll lose interest easier too, so it's a trade off.

Depending upon the time of year you're looking at, public grounds can be good for cats. It's not a great option, because the best fur is found in the late winter, basically after every animal has been scared off of public grounds by walk-in deer hunters, but it's still an option. Most land is pretty soaked up for hunting rights in most of Kansas, especially in good cat territory, but you can get access to private land if you ask the right folks in the right way.

If you're full mounting, take a very moderate load, and don't aim for anything hard. Mid-body with a 22win mag or 22 hornet, or a light loaded 223rem at most.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good! I'll keep u posted!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know Maine does a lot of guided bobcat hunts. They run them with dogs. I've shot several by calling them in and I used to trap a bunch in my youth. I have to admit I never thought about ponying up any $$$ for a guided hunt for one.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us updated on this. Am Interested to hear how it goes.
-Jake
Old 11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would simply pay for an Out of State Small Game Hunting License and find some Mark Twain National Forest or Conservation Land in Northern Missouri and do a Do it Yourself Predator Hunt.Bobcats can be much slower coming in to a Call but with patients You can get it done....Vole Sqeaks,Mouse Sounds,Rat and Wood Pecker distress sounds should do well in drawing in a Bobcat!

Another cheap and easy trick is to use a Feather Distractor or to hang a Feather or 2 from an over-hanging limb to catch the attention of a Bobcat!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Spike

Well, if I get time, we could meet up in Monroe county after Christmas....I have shot several and called in for others to shoot, just havent made it back much this year...
Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

ive inquired with several guides. Most of them offer a coyote hunt with bobcat as a bonus. Not much of a success rate! Which i understand with hunting coyotes around her can be difficult.

GTO- I think that will be the cheapest route. I have a primos turbo dogg with a mojo critter- If Mo allows electric calls.

Dogknott- Im actually working in ottumwa iowa as we speak! Butt message me if you wanna hook up after the holidays!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.