Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Fawn distress?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fawn distress?

Do any of y'all have productive stands with fawn distress. Down here in Florida where I hunt you will see fawns with spots all the way up until December. Just wonder is this or could this be as productive as say a rabbit in distress? I have never tried to use it except during archery season when calling in does.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have tried the fawn in distress call during the spring. All I every had come to the call was does.

Al
Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 AM
Banned

works purty well on lions and bears and bobcats, here. coyotes and foxes will respond also.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I probably should keep some secrets to myself, but I do tend to use fawn distress more in the late winter and spring to help better trick the coyotes that have heard every Tom, Dick, and Harry blowing on a single cottontail distress reed or blasting Lightning Jack out of their FoxPro all winter long...

It tends to yield a slower response than smaller game distress, except for the occasional hard charging territorial dog that comes in after it at 100mph.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've Called in many Coyotes using a Fawn Call and even a few Deer especially in the Spring when the Doe's are raising their Fawns!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys I will be trying it on Monday. We are suppose to get a cold front coming through on Sunday and the low in the morning will be around 30 degrees. So with 45 degrees in temperature change we will see if they are moving.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon, right now it may be just a bit to early to try that call. Yotes are far from stupid and they sorta kinda know they shouldn't be hearing fawn distress bleats this time of year. Instinct, as always, rules the predator and their instinct would be to use extreme caution when approaching that call at this time of year. They would more than likely circle it 3 or 4 times before coming within 100 yards or more depending on the surrounding cover and wind. Hit that bugger in late winter, early spring like Mercy said and you would probably have them coming in pretty hot and heavy.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Brandon, right now it may be just a bit to early to try that call. Yotes are far from stupid and they sorta kinda know they shouldn't be hearing fawn distress bleats this time of year. Instinct, as always, rules the predator and their instinct would be to use extreme caution when approaching that call at this time of year. They would more than likely circle it 3 or 4 times before coming within 100 yards or more depending on the surrounding cover and wind. Hit that bugger in late winter, early spring like Mercy said and you would probably have them coming in pretty hot and heavy.
I was taking a poll on one of our local forum down here and a lot of our local hunters said they see spotted fawns all the way up until February. We have about three different ruts down here in NW Florida. With that in mind when do you think would be the best time? The same time you mentioned or would it matter then?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon, they tend to keep their spots longer in warmer climates because of the cover. I've seen Southern Georgia whitetail 8 month old deer with light spots. You don't have 3 separate ruts in Florida, you have different times of rut in different areas of Florida. From July to October (North to South) the rut kicks in on different dates throughout. If anything you have fawns dropping earlier than anywhere else in the country not later. Florida actually has about the longest STATEWIDE rut sequences of just about any other state. But it starts so early and it is so all over the place it is difficult to pin down in each county.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Brandon, they tend to keep their spots longer in warmer climates because of the cover. I've seen Southern Georgia whitetail 8 month old deer with light spots. You don't have 3 separate ruts in Florida, you have different times of rut in different areas of Florida. From July to October (North to South) the rut kicks in on different dates throughout. If anything you have fawns dropping earlier than anywhere else in the country not later. Florida actually has about the longest STATEWIDE rut sequences of just about any other state. But it starts so early and it is so all over the place it is difficult to pin down in each county.
I apologize I should've rephrased myself the place I hunt our rut starts around middle of January and goes all the way to middle of March. While hunting during these times over the last 8 years I would see bucks starting to chase, then middle of Jan they start to lock down and breed. It will slack of for about a week or two because we get some hot weather that rolls in then the first week of February to middle of Feb is the second peak and I have seen a third peak towards the middle of March. Me saying three different ruts, a little confusing, I meant three different peaks of the rut. The only way I can think of why it is like this is our buck to doe ratio is extremely uneven. I wouldn't be surprised if it at least 20 does per one buck. Most of our fawns drop middle of July to August and have seen them drop as late as September but I have only seen spotted fawns as late as the middle of November. I really do appreciate y'alls help on helping me out with coyote hunting. This is the 2nd year going at it and I am starting to get the hang of things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.