Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Glad to join

Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default Glad to join

Hey guys decided to join since I'm fairly new to hunting (2 years) and figured I pick up some tips and maybe share some. Went out today only bagged one. But maybe it'll add to something I get Wednesday. Used a Marlin 25n and blazer 40grain hollowpoints. What do you guys prefer; walking around or sitting against a tree? I find a downed tree and sit for ~1/2 hr and if nothing move somewhere else. Glad to be here guys.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I like to use a 22 sit for a while then move about 100 yards and sit some more if need be.

Al
Old 11-10-2015, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Burninhot, glad to have you on the site. Welcome. We have a squirrel contest going on at the top of the page if you'd like to be involved your more than welcome. I like to still hunt. Walk very slowly and quietly an find them before they find you. I mainly do this to hone my deer hunting skills. Ill sit when I find a nice spot though too.
-Jake
Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a sitter. Around here the woods are so thick with briers it's hard to walk around quietly.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

That is a .22 WMR right?
It is one of the older .22 magnums.
I believe WMR stands for Winchester Magnum Rimfire
I have one, they are a sweet rifle.

Take low power Binoculars with you, like 6x30 or 7x35
You won't believe the amount of squirrels you will find in the trees looking through a set.
I have timed it, and they will start moving between 7 & 15 minutes.
I remember that I wasn't seeing many squirrels, so I took my 6x30 binoculars.
I started seeing squirrels, I had walked away from.
They will flatten out on the trunk, or ball up in a ball in the tree limb fork.
I couldn't hardly believe how many squirrels I spotted.
Take a hand full of marble size rocks in your pocket, and when you have a squirrel keep going around a tree when you move to keep you from getting a shot.
Just keep still, and toss a rock on the other side of the tree you are standing at, be ready it will think it is you and move around on your side.
If you have a squirrel go in a hole in a tree, take a small round mirror like a makeup
mirror with you and reflect the sunlight in the hole.
Then get ready because it will make the squirrel mad as a bull.
And it will come out chattering, and then you can take a shot.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck.

jrbsr
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I forgot to add Welcome to Huntingnet.
jrbsr
Old 11-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

The marlin magnum is a 25m or the newer ones made in the 90s early 2000s like I have is a 25mn. The 22 lr is 25n. Have one of those also and a 17 hmr and 17 mach2 all in the same rifle. I like to still hunt also but will sit if a good spots is present.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately I have found the best way to find squirrels is to be up in a tree stand with a bow hunting for DEER!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jrbsr
If you have a squirrel go in a hole in a tree, take a small round mirror like a makeup
mirror with you and reflect the sunlight in the hole.
Then get ready because it will make the squirrel mad as a bull.
And it will come out chattering, and then you can take a shot.

jrbsr
I have never heard that before now!! I will have to try it, I figured once they go in a hole they won't be back out anytime soon. I have waited up to 30 minutes and they never do. Guess your out of luck on a cloudy day tho... Thanks for the tip!!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Spike

Yea definitely gained some knowledge just from this post. Found myself a decent spot the other day. A cornfield surrounded by some good trees. Plan on limiting out this weekend based off what I saw the other day. Anybody ever try a popup blind? Been thinking of taking one but it seems I always have to be ready to move when they come around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.