Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 long rifle ammo suggestions for squrriels >

long rifle ammo suggestions for squrriels

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

long rifle ammo suggestions for squrriels

Old 10-26-2003, 08:34 AM

Default RE: long rifle ammo suggestions for squrriels

ON squirles im gunna have to say anything smaller than a 22 if u plan not to blow the junk out of it. BB guns and pellet guns work on most Texas squirrels at close range to have to shoot a squirrel at long range,... here u dont have to because they dont r un until you are about 15 yards away. Here squirrels dont get that big and i dont pay attension to squirrles in other states.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:00 PM

What about Federal Lightning .22LR rounds? Too cheap to be any good?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:29 AM

Price has nothing to do with it. My 10/22 shoots CCI blazers best. I get 1/2 groups @ 50 yards with a standard wal-mart completely stock gun and a tasco 3x9x32, @ $9.00/brick you can shoot till your hearts content. Try different ammo till you find what your gun likes and if all you ever hit is head shots it wont matter what bullet it is.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:50 AM

305,you hit the nail on the head!all guns like one round better than others.shoot them all until you find the one that' s right for your gun.one would think that rem guns would like rem shells but that is not always the case.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:25 PM

hey kentucky boy! you use a 22 on coyotes? a bit small there!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:35 PM

i use the winchester LR .22 solid tip bullets and shoot them anywhere with little to no meat damage. IF your a better shoot then shoot what your comfortable with but anything like a stinger or velocer or yellow jacket or any hollow point for that matter aim for the head or your wont be bringing back much salvagable meat.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Kentucky Boy, You mean to say that you shoot coyoytes with a.22 rimfire??? i only ask because i want to get into coyote hunting(have been seing alot while goosehunting in the feilds) but dont want to spend big money in a new rfle and i have a .22

oh and i use remington golden bullets for squirrel-raccoons. im getting just over a 1" group at 100 yards(off a bench of cours) and .4" at 50. so iguess some people get lucky ad theire gun like "cheap ammo" and some guns dont just have to try.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:04 PM

The Remington Golden Bullet works very well in my gun. I shoot 1/2 in. @50 yards and that is plenty good to shoot a squirrel in the head. The main thing that i like about them is that you can shoot all you want and it doesn't take alot of money. I Don't see any reason to change if what I am using works. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Spike

all my 22s shoot different ammos best but they all shoot cci mini mag solids good enough. This is a hard hitting round that shoots consistently out of all my rifles. Accuracy is less than an inch at 50 yards for head shots. If the range is longer i shoot for the heart/lung area and the bullet still does its job with little meat damage.
Huntinbull
Old 12-21-2003, 11:54 PM

All 22 ammo will kill a squriell just use whatever shoots good out of your gun.

Quick Reply: long rifle ammo suggestions for squrriels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.