Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Urban Coyote Trapping?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default Urban Coyote Trapping?

Hey guys, Ive been trying to hunt urban coyotes but they keep putting the slip on me and have been coming in very late at night. This is in an urban setting and we have a bad coyote problem but conventional hunting hasn't been working out so far. I want to try trapping them; I have my trapping license etc but I've never really done any trapping. I obviously can't use any body traps or snares due to the presence of pets. Which leaves me with live traps or coil/spring traps. If I went with foothold traps I was thinking something like this: http://www.flemingtraps.com/duke-3-c...-leg-trap.html as its the rubber jaw so if a pet gets caught it does minimum damage. Any tips or suggestions would be great!

I just found these traps called Collarums which sound great but are a bit pricey, anyone know anything about these?

Last edited by turke7; 03-07-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by turke7
Hey guys, Ive been trying to hunt urban coyotes but they keep putting the slip on me and have been coming in very late at night. This is in an urban setting and we have a bad coyote problem but conventional hunting hasn't been working out so far. I want to try trapping them; I have my trapping license etc but I've never really done any trapping. I obviously can't use any body traps or snares due to the presence of pets. Which leaves me with live traps or coil/spring traps. If I went with foothold traps I was thinking something like this: http://www.flemingtraps.com/duke-3-c...-leg-trap.html as its the rubber jaw so if a pet gets caught it does minimum damage. Any tips or suggestions would be great!

I just found these traps called Collarums which sound great but are a bit pricey, anyone know anything about these?
Live trapping coyotes in urban settings really is your only option. Footholds are just too high risk.

A Duke #3, even padded and offset will smash a 10lb lap dog's leg.

The collarums can still kill or severely injure a dog. It's a spring loaded snare with a fixed stop, if an animal is too small, it escapes, if the animal is too large, it dies. If a lap dog gets a front leg through the collarum snare and gets the snare around its body, even a smaller dog can be killed by suffocation.

Night hunting has been my most successful urban hunting as well. Never as productive as baited live trapping, but it's productive. I'm actually very sad that Benjamin discontinued the Rogue PCP .357", as I'd love to have one for that very purpose. Suppressed firearms work well enough also. Not all municipalities allow any type of rifle for urban hunting.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Spike

So it sounds like live traps is the best option then. I can't use rifles and don't have enough acreage for shotgun use. Which leaves me with dispatching old school style or with archery. Im not concerned about damage to the fur so archery is fine by me and I think its more humane/easier/safer then the other alternatives. Any brand/size recommendations for live traps?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Spike

The best thing you can do is leave them. You are headed for lawsuits over pets from a bunch of bleeding heart liberals. After enough of their dogs and cats are eaten they may come to their senses - not.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Spike

Haha the reason why I am hunting them is how bad they have gotten and how much people have been complaining. A couple people have lost pets, even attacking dogs during the day, following people, etc that the people around me even though most are liberal want them hunted. Theres some trails down the road they had closed for a couple months due to coyotes. Im not afraid of running into coyote's in the woods but it doesn't take much to freak out the people around me. You wouldn't believe the email chains complaining about the coyotes.

I also have two small dogs that I worry about considering I find fresh coyote tracks through our yard each morning and can tell which group of coyotes made it.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by turke7
Haha the reason why I am hunting them is how bad they have gotten and how much people have been complaining. A couple people have lost pets, even attacking dogs during the day, following people, etc that the people around me even though most are liberal want them hunted. Theres some trails down the road they had closed for a couple months due to coyotes. Im not afraid of running into coyote's in the woods but it doesn't take much to freak out the people around me. You wouldn't believe the email chains complaining about the coyotes.

I also have two small dogs that I worry about considering I find fresh coyote tracks through our yard each morning and can tell which group of coyotes made it.
You need to charge those libs for your services.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tyme2Hunt
You need to charge those libs for your services.
I think I need to kill at least one before I look for compensation haha.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

They make some larger Live Traps that You could use to catch the Coyotes and maybe with some donations from Your concerned Neighbors You could afford to buy several to set out?
They also make a very quiet .22 caliber bullet to use in putting down said Coyotes!

A crossbow would help a lot in killing the Coyotes quietly and they are easy to use and if equipped with a scope can reach out a lot further and be very accurate!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
They make some larger Live Traps that You could use to catch the Coyotes and maybe with some donations from Your concerned Neighbors You could afford to buy several to set out?
They also make a very quiet .22 caliber bullet to use in putting down said Coyotes!

A crossbow would help a lot in killing the Coyotes quietly and they are easy to use and if equipped with a scope can reach out a lot further and be very accurate!
I make my own live traps, so I can't really be of a lot of help there, but I've used Hav-a-hart live traps a lot in the past, and they do well. You simply need a larger model than can be found at most farm supply stores (meant for raccoon). They ain't cheap, so that's the downside.

To the point of urban wildlife warfare and archery - at my old house, the neighbors got so used to seeing me walking around with my bow at night that I'd even have neighbors bring back my lost arrows when they found one! Our house was in the center of the block, right along the regular pathways, I took a couple coyotes, lots of skunks, few coons and opossums by sitting on the roof of our garage at night. Crossbow or compound bows are just as range limited, but more effective at killing coyote sized game as your average air rifle, so it's definitely a better choice.

Just be sure it's legal - or at least "overlooked" - in your area before you get the local authorities too worked up!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Banned

get some bloody hamburger . soak up a sponge with blood let coyote eat. sponge swells and kills coyote.
may not be humane but it is effective.