HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Shot size and choke for coyotes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/396508-shot-size-choke-coyotes.html)

Brandon_SPC 12-19-2014 01:25 PM

Shot size and choke for coyotes?

I currently live in Pensacola Florida which is the Northwest corner near Southern Alabama. Where I hunt is slammed with coyotes. You hear them every morning and every evening doesn't matter where you sit. I hunt a WMA which is about 191,000 acres. Our usual dog is about 30lbs down here. Some may push 40 to 50 lbs. My average shot will range from 10-50 yards. Unless I hunt a field or clear cut then it could get a few hundred yards. That will be for the .270 (Only rifle I have for that application). So what would y'all recommend T shot, #4 buck, 1 buck, 00 buck, 000 buck? Also what choke and size? I'm a first timer and just bought a Fox Pro Spitfire. Can't wait.

Nomercy448 12-19-2014 01:46 PM

Take a look at this thread in the Predator Hunting Reference Sub-forum (topline of this forum).

Predator Hunting Reference Section: Shotgun Loads and Chokes for Coyotes

The short version is this:

Considering these out of a 12ga shotgun, not 20ga.

A lot of things can work. Some better than others. Some more affordable than others. Some more over-hyped than others.

Cheapest option: 00 buck with an improved or light modified choke. I've killed hundreds of coyotes with Winchester Super-X 00buck in the last ~20 odd years.

Best option: #4Buckshot out of a 0.680" choke. Been using the Federal #4 buck for a few years now, if I could find it regularly, I'd never shoot anything else.

The #4buck will have a little more range than the 00buck, as it has a lot more pellets for a greater pattern density.

50yrds is asking a LOT of a shotgun for coyotes. Expect rollers that get up and run.

The heavier than lead T and BB shot is great stuff, but far too expensive to be a relevant choice. Not better killing than #4buck, however, in my experience.

Brandon_SPC 12-19-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4176307)
Take a look at this thread in the Predator Hunting Reference Sub-forum (topline of this forum).

Predator Hunting Reference Section: Shotgun Loads and Chokes for Coyotes

The short version is this:

Considering these out of a 12ga shotgun, not 20ga.

A lot of things can work. Some better than others. Some more affordable than others. Some more over-hyped than others.

Cheapest option: 00 buck with an improved or light modified choke. I've killed hundreds of coyotes with Winchester Super-X 00buck in the last ~20 odd years.

Best option: #4Buckshot out of a 0.680" choke. Been using the Federal #4 buck for a few years now, if I could find it regularly, I'd never shoot anything else.

The #4buck will have a little more range than the 00buck, as it has a lot more pellets for a greater pattern density.

50yrds is asking a LOT of a shotgun for coyotes. Expect rollers that get up and run.

The heavier than lead T and BB shot is great stuff, but far too expensive to be a relevant choice. Not better killing than #4buck, however, in my experience.

Thank you I guess I over looked that forum I appreciate it.

Lisa b 01-06-2015 05:45 PM

Thank you!!!

dan87bh 01-08-2015 04:56 PM

Slug, cause you just gotta be sure