HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Dealing with a caged skunk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/395916-dealing-caged-skunk.html)

furgitter 11-25-2014 08:03 AM

Dealing with a caged skunk

Check out this video on disarming a caged skunk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCuZ...qjIV4ojP3Rd6vw

Topgun 3006 12-07-2014 02:28 PM

I really have to laugh at that video. He said the skunk couldn't turn around in that trap and it certainly did as he came in to put the blanket over the trap. Then the video ends with no mention of what the heck you do next, LOL!

Oldtimr 12-07-2014 06:08 PM

I have trapped many a skunk and put a blanket over the trap, then transported the trap wth skunk on a rack to a new location and released the skunk from the trap. Never got sprayed once. The key is to keep them calm, talk to them in a low voice and don't do anything fast. Once calmed down give them a hunk of bologna and open the trap and let them walk. I actually had one try to get back into the trap as I was picking it up.

Topgun 3006 12-07-2014 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4173898)
I have trapped many a skunk and put a blanket over the trap, then transported the trap wth skunk on a rack to a new location and released the skunk from the trap. Never got sprayed once. The key is to keep them calm, talk to them in a low voice and don't do anything fast. Once calmed down give them a hunk of bologna and open the trap and let them walk. I actually had one try to get back into the trap as I was picking it up.

LOL, as you must serve up good bologna! Of course I already knew that after reading a lot of your posts---just kidding! :p

Oldtimr 12-08-2014 03:44 AM

Hey! My wife once raised a litter of skunk kits in our basement many years ago. When they got old enough I took them out to a place along the RR tracks where there was an area with lots of groundhog dens. I was stuffing them down a hole and they were coming back out as fast as I stuffed them in. I heard a voice say, "hey bud", I turned to lok over my shoulder and saw a railroad worker standing there and he said "you are freaking nuts". Skunks must be provoked into spraying most times.

alleyyooper 12-08-2014 05:17 AM

I use one of those 5x5 foot blue tarps to cover the trap. Took one to the creek and dropped in a deep hole. oil floated to the top and smelled up the area for days.
Since they like honey bees so much I found just opening the cage and shooting them was less smelly.
Before I had the bees I never bothered with them.

:D Al

Topgun 3006 12-08-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4173941)
Hey! My wife once raised a litter of skunk kits in our basement many years ago. When they got old enough I took them out to a place along the RR tracks where there was an area with lots of groundhog dens. I was stuffing them down a hole and they were coming back out as fast as I stuffed them in. I heard a voice say, "hey bud", I turned to lok over my shoulder and saw a railroad worker standing there and he said "you are freaking nuts". Skunks must be provoked into spraying most times.

Now that is freaking funny!!!

Bocajnala 12-08-2014 12:13 PM

I've had lots of skunks in the box trap before. Didn't watch this video, but move slow, keep them calm, don't surprise them, no problem. The last couple I haven't even used a blanket
-Jake

westMDbowhunter 12-09-2014 05:11 AM

we just shoot em
honestly guys

Nomercy448 12-11-2014 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4174022)
I've had lots of skunks in the box trap before. Didn't watch this video, but move slow, keep them calm, don't surprise them, no problem. The last couple I haven't even used a blanket
-Jake

This. I've had to have had over a hundred of them in live traps over the years, never had one spray in the box. I've had a few spray once they were out if I tried to live release them - which was only a reminder that it's a far better idea to just shoot them in the cage. I always transport away from my coon sets to shoot or release any non-target animal.

Now, that's not to say I've never been "skunked". Luckily I haven't in several years, but it happened far more times than I'd like to admit. Dawn dishwashing soap is the trick, and lots of it. First shower makes it almost un-noticeable, but if someone gets real close, or if you got hot and sweaty, you'll pick it up a bit. Second shower the next day and a person won't even be able to smell it on you.