Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

small game: shotgun vs. rifle

Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default small game: shotgun vs. rifle

I have been hunting for around a year or so now and I got one rabbit last year and one squirrel so far this year both with a 20 ga shotgun with a mod. choke 26 inch barrel and used 6 shot on the rabbit and 7.5 shot on the squirrel, and have had very few pellets in the meat, so why do people have so much problems with shot in the meat? also do you use a rifle or shotgun and what gauge of shotgun also if you use a rifle is it for more sport or to save meat? thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use 5s or 6s in your shotgun and unless you are very close they will do the job better with less of a chance to fill either a squirrel or rabbit full of pellets. I like to use a 22 for squirrels and try for only head shots since they are sitting still and it's more fun than wacking them with a shotgun. You either hit and kill them or generally it's a complete miss.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-11-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

cool I will try the #5 or 6 next time I go, thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

I like to use a .22 Hand Gun.
It is more of a challenge.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

17 HM2, headshots only, no hair or bloody meat that way, the fine shot get hair balled on them and drive it into the meat, hate cleaning them killed with fine shot.
RR
Old 08-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless you are strictly squirrel hunting, use a shotgun. Rifles for bird hunting are not a good plan and it isn't real smart to shoot a rifle at running rabbits or at flying birds and if you hunt waterfowl, rifles are not legal.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blaZer_2
I have been hunting for around a year or so now and I got one rabbit last year and one squirrel so far this year both with a 20 ga shotgun... and have had very few pellets in the meat, so why do people have so much problems with shot in the meat?...
Re-read your own statements and you might find clarity.

Two animals over the span of two years really isn't enough experience to make a lot of judgment around likelihood for pellets in the meat.

I personally don't complain about pellets in the meat, but I do often notice I waste a lot more meat from being "bloodshot". This typically refers to meat damaged by passing shot, so whether the pellet is still inside or not, I don't eat it - I find the cuprous taste of bloodshot meat to be off-putting.

Keep shooting small game with a shotgun, but give it a whirl with a rifle too. Both are very different types of hunting. You'll eventually find that you tend to get more game by being mobile and using a scattergun, but you'll also find that you ruin less meat with the rifle. Ups and downs to any choice.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

12 ga for rabbit, 22 for squirrel until they leave the trees and start digging up their stash in mid/late season. then they get the 12 too.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

another thing i like for squirrel is an air rifle. they make them now with 35# piston instead of the standard air chamber. i got a gamo last year and several thousand of rounds for well under $200.
way fun... more than enough for mr bushy tail.
you can get them in .22 or .177.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

I use number 6 shot remington express extra long range 20 ga shells. Have not had a problem with a lot of shot still in the squirrel I aim for the head and use a full choke. My main squirrel gun is a savage 24 22 mag over a 20ga. So best of both worlds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.