Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eating squirrel

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Trade the coke for some Dr. Pepper and you've got a great mix there!!
-Jake
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Spike

I case skin mine, but still manage to get some hair on the meat. I usually try to clean off as much as I can, but my wife still complains. Do you guys have a good way to remove stray hairs from the meat?

By way of a recipe, if a have a lonely squirrel hanging around in my freezer, I will wrap it in foil with salsa and corn, and then bake it. It makes a good lunch.

Last edited by worstcaster; 06-24-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Spike

When I lived there in the States, I used to hunt and eat squirrels all of the time. Delicious, so many recipes. Between them and bunnies, it'd be a toss up as to whcih I like better!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bbj270
squirrel is my favorit. I like a squirrel and dumplings.
X2

hard to beat Fried Squirrel too, when done right.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by worstcaster
I case skin mine, but still manage to get some hair on the meat. I usually try to clean off as much as I can, but my wife still complains. Do you guys have a good way to remove stray hairs from the meat?

By way of a recipe, if a have a lonely squirrel hanging around in my freezer, I will wrap it in foil with salsa and corn, and then bake it. It makes a good lunch.
This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8OyexZ10E
RR
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

My brother and I skin them the same way our Dad did. We make a cut under the tail near the rectum and push the skin back some along the back. We then grasp the back legs by the feet in one hand, place the tail under one foot and pull upward on the legs. Doing so removes the skin from the back and front legs to the head. The remaining skin on the back half of the squirrel can be grabbed on the belly side and pulled up over the rear of the squirrel. We then take our pocket knife and cut the legs and head off. Usually no hair, if a squirrel is shot up this method can result in the squirrel being torn apart, but you can still salvage the good parts.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Spike

When you pressure cook them what pressure do you use?