Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eating squirrel

Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

i was always taught to soak my squirrels overnight in water with salt after i dressed them out. Now im wondering if ive been doing this wrong, everything i read about proper meat and deer handling says to not soak meat in water, i was just curious as to what most of the squirrel eaters on here do?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I soak mine
RR
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can em first then use em.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I also soak mine over night. Dry them with paper towels before freezing or frying.

Al
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to soak my rabbits and squirrels overnight in saltwater, until my uncle told me that the salt in saltwater --- does not help in drawing any blood out of bloodshot meat --- so now I just soak them in a pot of water overnight.

When you hang a deer carcass up to age it some --- try to keep the body cavity from being soaked with water --- but I would pat dry or drain the body cavity, if I had to drag a deer carcass across a clean stream.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
I used to soak my rabbits and squirrels overnight in saltwater, until my uncle told me that the salt in saltwater --- does not help in drawing any blood out of bloodshot meat --- so now I just soak them in a pot of water overnight.

When you hang a deer carcass up to age it some --- try to keep the body cavity from being soaked with water --- but I would pat dry or drain the body cavity, if I had to drag a deer carcass across a clean stream.
yeah thats what im talking about. I was told the same thing about drawing blood out, but then when you are talking about aging deer, ive always heard to not put the meat in water or soak it (cleaning it off is different). I just wonder if ive been altering the taste of the squirrel all these years by soaking it....might try just cleaning it off and aging it like i do deer (in the fridge 7 to 10 days) and then preparing it.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Spike

squirrel is good love hunting them and one my fav meats too eat
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Squirrel meat is one of the best wild game that you can eat!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Spike

Squirrel Gravy is the best
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try equal amts of Coke and Ketchup in a crock pot. Season to taste[s]. I leave them on low all day, then pick the meat off the bones.

Throw the meat back in the crock pot on high this time, no lid, keep an eye on it, the water bubbles off. Can be used for rabbits the same way.

Makes a good sandwich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.