Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eating squirrel

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Squirrel, grey, black, or fox, is excellent. Lots of recipes out there. If you find the squirrel is a little tough, let it cook a bit more on low heat while covered to keep from drying out - all of a sudden it will go from tough to very tender.

If you hunt in very warm conditions, you should gut and skin them right away and put on ice in a cooler. Otherwise, in cool or cold weather, the squirrel may be dressed after the hunt. There is a video that I have seen that shows how to skin and dress in one easy motion.

Red squirrels, the very small kind that live in northern pine forests, are bad to eat, however. At least the ones by us are.

Last edited by MZS; 03-15-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Squirrel, grey, black, or fox, is excellent. Lots of recipes out there. If you find the squirrel is a little tough, let it cook a bit more on low heat while covered to keep from drying out - all of a sudden it will go from tough to very tender.

If you hunt in very warm conditions, you should gut and skin them right away and put on ice in a cooler. Otherwise, in cool or cold weather, the squirrel may be dressed after the hunt. There is a video that I have seen that shows how to skin and dress in one easy motion.

Red squirrels, the very small kind that live in northern pine forests, are bad to eat, however. At least the ones by us are.
want them tender, pressure cook them 30 minutes, in 40 minutes the meat falls off the bone, after pressure cooking roll in flour, season to taste and brown in a skillet.
RR
Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Sounds good Ridge Runner! With the deer depleted to near zero around here with excessive tags and then a winter to beat all winters, I may be doing some squirrel hunting next fall.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
want them tender, pressure cook them 30 minutes, in 40 minutes the meat falls off the bone, after pressure cooking roll in flour, season to taste and brown in a skillet.
RR
awesome idea! pressure cooking.
i have always boiled mine until the meat came off the bone and then lightly fried but boiling takes me close to two hours sometimes on large greys. i can see how the pressure cooker would speed things up good tip

i also like to eat the pineys, we have more of them here.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You tube video on how to quickly clean a squirrel. Is If I remember right mister yak cleans a squirrel.

Al
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Spike

Heck ya I eat them! They're good smoked
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Spike

Sounds yummy cutlash need to try it like that sometime
Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Smoked Squirrel

Originally Posted by CUTSLASH
They're good smoked
Isn't it kind of hard to stuff them in the pipe?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You use black pipe of the right sizing and use reducers.

Al
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to lightly pan brown fry my quartered-up squirrels in olive oil, then throw them in a pressure cooker for 40 minutes, with some red wine, chicken/beef stock; along with some onions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.