HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   varmint hunting...(starlings ?) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/389348-varmint-hunting-starlings.html)

macknnc 01-30-2014 07:37 AM

varmint hunting...(starlings ?)

Okay flipping idly through one of O'Connor's books and reading a chapter on varmint rifles...Now varmint rifles really interest me..my bucket list includes owning a .220 Swift, among some others, but frankly I know very little about varmint hunting and have done very little of it...

But out of curiousity, I checked Wikipedia, and the short piece there on varmint hunting includes starlings as possible targets. Not sure of the challenge here, but the off beat has always fasinated me, and there is no denying starlings are a major pest and nuisance, so without getting into the various legalaties of it in this state, (I'll run that by the Fish and Wildlife Dept a bit later...) but are starlings hunted? It does seem like a fair idea...plenty of them, they ARE pests, they ARE annoying...so...are they?

Ridge Runner 01-30-2014 02:45 PM

Targets of opportunity here, they get wild very quick when ya start shooting at them.
RR

GTOHunter 01-30-2014 05:27 PM

We have a Season for Crow Hunting.....those would be more fun/challenging to Hunt in my Opinion! ;)

Sheridan 01-30-2014 06:23 PM

Called it target practice when I was a kid, standing in the cornfields back in New Jersey.

Now memories.........................

macknnc 01-31-2014 03:35 AM

Well I have tried crow hunting...challenging targets for sure...but crows have 'seasons' now...and as I said..I have always been interested in the unusual. Starlings though..that one kissed me off the cushion...(I mean..who the hell makes a starling call? starling decoys?)

Although they may be challenge on the wing...I am willing to bet if you could locate a roost, you could fairly easily sneak in close enough with .22 rimfire to do enough damage to the flock to make those old buffalo hidehunters look like pikers!

Bbj270 01-31-2014 03:48 AM

I shoot them under my grandmothers bird feed its like a shootinsg gallery, With a 22 auto.

Nomercy448 01-31-2014 07:47 AM

I'd definitely quantify starlings as "vermin", but not necessarily varmints. They're nasty nasty birds.

But like many of the others here, I killed plenty of starlings as a kid with a BB gun as target practice and pest control.

Hunter2678 01-31-2014 10:08 AM

Dunno why there would be an issue, they were brought over from europe so they aren't a native species...there isnt a bird alive that I despise more than a damn starling.:devil:

macknnc 02-02-2014 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hunter2678 (Post 4119784)
Dunno why there would be an issue, they were brought over from europe so they aren't a native species...there isnt a bird alive that I despise more than a damn starling.:devil:

Not sure there is an issue here. But I found out the hard way, several years ago, the North Carolina Fish and Wildlife Dept is not fond of people 'assuming' things about their regulations. At one time, I seem to remember a line in their regulations that only those species listed were legal to hunt...not listed, then they were protected. And starlings, of course, are not listed. As I said I do plan on running this by them at some point.

But varmint hunters don't have a good year round shotgun target. Crows now have a closed season. The Open Season is very long and generous, the 'closure' was more to appease those Feds who became convinced that crows were migatory birds and needed protection...(Ha!)

But I was curious, assuming one wanted to (to use bunny-hugger terms) murder a helpless mass of poor downtrodden starlings, how you would attract them within range of your shotgun. Like Hunter, I feel the fewer starlings the better, but having them come in on the wing for shotgunning practice, rather than popping them off with .22 seems like it might be a worthy idea.

homers brother 02-02-2014 04:38 AM

JMO - Starlings are nasty birds, but are unworthy of a shotgun or even a rimfire round these days. Were you looking for an excuse to purchase an adult air rifle? :)