Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 Mag Round

Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hookeye
I've barked chucks with .243 off rockpiles.............makes a mess
I kinda barked a chuck with a 220 swift many years ago standing up by a fencepost. My dad spotted the shot for me. We go to pick it up and find him dead, just a drop of blood at his nose. No hole, nothing. We figure he was leaning against it and I didn't see it for the post blended with his color and feet on top of post stump. The shock wave of the 55grn PTSP just done the job. First and only time I have seen it.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, pretty sure it was 1978, I had a Remington 22 bolt action that shot cci stinger rounds incredibly well, I was head shooting squirrels at at that time ungodly distances, my mom and grandmother liked squirrel heads so that was short lived, couldn't rib shoot them or every one pulled in two, so I started barking them, worked fine most of the time.
RR
Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly "barking", but same principle, albeit this one was accidental:

My dad and uncles used to tell me the story of "the only thing dad ever killed with his .30-06" (my grandpa, and his Garand that he carried in Korea, not that he "carried" it much, since he was assigned as a wrench on a carrier).

The distance varies depending on which one of them tells the story, but I know the spot on the ranch where it happened, had to be around 150-200yrds.

Opportunity shot on a coyote on a ridge at the family farmstead while they were out feeding one morning, grandpa pulled the '06 out from behind the truck seat, leaned over the hood, and fired. A loud "ptang" and a cloud of dust, but sure enough, the coyote fell over dead.

My dad and 2 uncles ran out to investigate, there was a big divot in a large rock, and two chips the size of half dollars cut through the coyote.

So the only thing Gpa ever killed with his .30-06, Korea included, was a rock, that incidentally killed a coyote.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

winchester dynapoints are only 1550 fps, the slowest 22 mag you can get. that would be choice to reduce meat damage.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Spike

In my view, 22 mag is over kill for squirrels. I use hollow point subsonic at 1050 fps. That seems to be just right. The other regular hollow point over 1200 fps is just too loud for me and a little over kill as well. I have killed foxes with the subsonic hollow point with only one shot to the vital area. I've tried CCI CB and Regmington CBEEs. The CB and CBEEs are only effective if you hit the squirrel in the head. Even in the chest cavity it's not powerful enough to kill the squirrel right away. It might get to a hole before dying.

So far, the best one for small games like squirrel and rabbits are the 1050 fps hollow point subsonic amo. The 40 gr CCI and winchester hollow points are my favorites.

My 2 cent.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

My favorite type of hunting is squirrels. My main gun I use is a older savage 24 in 22 mag and 20 ga. I use hollow points kill about 50 percent with the rifle. It doesn't damage the meat badly I try for head shots but if have to I shoot them behind shoulders like a deer doesn't destroy to much meat.