HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Scent control for snares? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/389045-scent-control-snares.html)

The Green Horn Hunter 01-17-2014 08:53 AM

Scent control for snares?

Hey Y'all, I have some Dakota Line rabbit snares with deer stop coming this afternoon. And I want to know the best way to scent control these for my first use on Sunday?

I am setting up a trap line on some public land that "allows" people to hunt and trap and fish on this land.

Here is my 2 cents on scent control and see if Y'all concur?

1# Boil the snares for 10 minutes? and then place them in a food saver bag until Sunday? Use gloves to set the snares.

2# Boil the snares, As same as #1 but I would lace the snare with the appropriate bait. I.E Peanut butter seems to work "QUITE WELL" and a carrot?

Any tips would be helpful, Thanks

Derek.

Nomercy448 01-17-2014 10:56 AM

Simplify your mind.

You've asked a question by giving too much detail about two options, with one simple difference.

You're REALLY asking the question: Should I bait my rabbit snares, or not?

I personally avoid bait with snares (for any game), but some guys believe in it. Snares, for me, are opportunistic traps, and should just be placed in normal travel paths. Bait itself, or your increased scent laid around your sets placing and replacing baits, can potentially drive game from your snare, so I don't care to take that chance.

The Green Horn Hunter 01-17-2014 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4116723)
Simplify your mind.

You've asked a question by giving too much detail about two options, with one simple difference.

You're REALLY asking the question: Should I bait my rabbit snares, or not?

I personally avoid bait with snares (for any game), but some guys believe in it. Snares, for me, are opportunistic traps, and should just be placed in normal travel paths. Bait itself, or your increased scent laid around your sets placing and replacing baits, can potentially drive game from your snare, so I don't care to take that chance.

Thanks man, I thought I was clear enough with my question and I do apologize for that!

My question how to keep human scent off the snare, and what do other guys do when they buy new snares before the first use.

Nomercy448 01-17-2014 03:48 PM

Boil the snares, and hang them outside to "weather" for a few weeks.

"Seasoning" snares is a different issue than using baits. Lots of methods for seasoning out there, most work. Baiting for rabbits, I can take or leave.

The Green Horn Hunter 01-17-2014 03:51 PM

I don't have a few weeks, I will do it for a few day's Thank you for the tips man.

GatorWrestler 01-23-2014 10:55 AM

You will never catch a squirrel with them though...

Bugflipper 01-23-2014 11:54 AM

I boil them with baking soda in the water. It turns them from shiny to a dull gray.

Not trying to argue but I catch squirrels in my fruit trees pretty steady when they are in season. I've also caught them on fallen trees that are hung up in another tree (widow makers). Diagonal like this. /I
And fallen trees that are just lying on the ground horizontal. The only really steady way I've caught them is in the fruit trees though.

I've never used bait on snares so don't know one way or the other on that. Seems like if you did that you'd want it in front of the loop, not them chewing on the loop, but don't really know. I'd rather have them hopping down their trail going from point A to B instead of slowing down to nab some peanut butter though.