HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Rabbit hunting tricks? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/388920-rabbit-hunting-tricks.html)

dirthawker88 01-11-2014 04:18 PM

Rabbit hunting tricks?

Hey, guys I'm relatively new to rabbit hunting and just wanted to ask for some advice, and pointers. I'm struggling to find many good rabbit fields, due to the county I live in is over run with coyotes. So I have to head to the outskirts of town but fields are few and far between. I have a couple proven rabbit fields but some how the little suckers evade me. I'm able to track them, look for droppings, and signs of them due to snow so I know they are there but I am unable to slip one. I spend hours in the field beating every piece of brush large enough to hold a rabbit, poking in holes, and doing whatever I can but can't seem to get one. Right now its, wet, cold (30), and the ground has a foot of snow cover. What are the best conditions to hunt rabbits? The best time of day? is there any time you mine as well stay home? Any old timers secrets? I have about 3 fields the were over run with rabbits I was tripping over them and the last 2 weeks they have been no were to be seen. I see tracks but haven't seen a rabbit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time. Michael Cogar. I also live in Southern WI if that matters, I've been told cottontail habits very on geographical locations.

Nomercy448 01-12-2014 07:40 AM

How fast are you moving through the field? If you're tearing apart that much and making too much noise, you won't be seeing any bunnies, they'll scatter to the four winds. With snow cover, they know they don't have as much concealment as they might have in the grass, so they'll scatter farther.

Are you using a dog? Shotgun or rifle? How many acres are you looking at? Are you sure the track and sign are fresh?

tourangeaud 01-24-2014 12:04 PM

They're not going to be in the open fields. To easy of prey for yotes, foxes, hawks, eagles, owls, etc. Gonna find them in the nastiest briar patches you can find. Hedge rows or lapp piles are also great hiding spots.

The Green Horn Hunter 01-25-2014 07:14 AM

Only thing I can bring to the table, Is to keep your eye's open.

Be quiet, that means no whispering either. That's what I have learned.

Hope this helps.

macknnc 01-25-2014 07:42 AM

Well this does not work every time by any means, but does work often enough to be worth trying...it is a trick I use often when hunting with flintlock and now and then with a .22

prowl through brush, briars whatever...rabbits like heavy cover...until you jump one...as the rabbit takes off...put your gun to your shoulder..tracking him but don't fire and don't move! Not an inch! The rabbit will run off, but if they get no sense of being pursued, often stop and look back after short runs.....and that is when you fire!

Tundra10 01-25-2014 09:59 PM

Get yerself a beagle or two

The Green Horn Hunter 01-26-2014 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tundra10 (Post 4118512)
Get yerself a beagle or two

You can hunt with out dogs, just to let you know.

WNYhunter 01-26-2014 05:51 AM

Beagle, beagle, beagle. There is nothing more fun to me than listening to my beagles run rabbits. If a dog is out of the question then go slow and quiet. I have seen alot of rabbits in the brush/grass that move just a little bit trying to hide. Good luck, and keep trying

Tundra10 01-26-2014 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter (Post 4118555)
You can hunt with out dogs, just to let you know.

Really? :sad0064:

sfwusc 01-27-2014 05:34 PM

Rabbit Box?

If you are just wanting the meat, then that is a good way to go.