Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit hunting tricks?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default Rabbit hunting tricks?

Hey, guys I'm relatively new to rabbit hunting and just wanted to ask for some advice, and pointers. I'm struggling to find many good rabbit fields, due to the county I live in is over run with coyotes. So I have to head to the outskirts of town but fields are few and far between. I have a couple proven rabbit fields but some how the little suckers evade me. I'm able to track them, look for droppings, and signs of them due to snow so I know they are there but I am unable to slip one. I spend hours in the field beating every piece of brush large enough to hold a rabbit, poking in holes, and doing whatever I can but can't seem to get one. Right now its, wet, cold (30), and the ground has a foot of snow cover. What are the best conditions to hunt rabbits? The best time of day? is there any time you mine as well stay home? Any old timers secrets? I have about 3 fields the were over run with rabbits I was tripping over them and the last 2 weeks they have been no were to be seen. I see tracks but haven't seen a rabbit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time. Michael Cogar. I also live in Southern WI if that matters, I've been told cottontail habits very on geographical locations.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

How fast are you moving through the field? If you're tearing apart that much and making too much noise, you won't be seeing any bunnies, they'll scatter to the four winds. With snow cover, they know they don't have as much concealment as they might have in the grass, so they'll scatter farther.

Are you using a dog? Shotgun or rifle? How many acres are you looking at? Are you sure the track and sign are fresh?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

They're not going to be in the open fields. To easy of prey for yotes, foxes, hawks, eagles, owls, etc. Gonna find them in the nastiest briar patches you can find. Hedge rows or lapp piles are also great hiding spots.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Only thing I can bring to the table, Is to keep your eye's open.

Be quiet, that means no whispering either. That's what I have learned.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Spike

Well this does not work every time by any means, but does work often enough to be worth trying...it is a trick I use often when hunting with flintlock and now and then with a .22

prowl through brush, briars whatever...rabbits like heavy cover...until you jump one...as the rabbit takes off...put your gun to your shoulder..tracking him but don't fire and don't move! Not an inch! The rabbit will run off, but if they get no sense of being pursued, often stop and look back after short runs.....and that is when you fire!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yerself a beagle or two
Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Get yerself a beagle or two
You can hunt with out dogs, just to let you know.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Beagle, beagle, beagle. There is nothing more fun to me than listening to my beagles run rabbits. If a dog is out of the question then go slow and quiet. I have seen alot of rabbits in the brush/grass that move just a little bit trying to hide. Good luck, and keep trying
Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
You can hunt with out dogs, just to let you know.
Really?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Spike

Rabbit Box?

If you are just wanting the meat, then that is a good way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.