Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Road kill for bait is it legal?????

Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Road kill for bait is it legal?????

Thanks for looking.
I amcoming over to States in May next year to Hunt Coyote's.
I will be in and around Montana and wyoming.
Is it legal for me to stop and pick up road kills for baiting Coyote's?
I may not stop for any Skunks as I believe they smell just a little!
But deer and Raccoons and other road kill would be looked at and I shall be wareing gloves for any that I pick up.

I live in England Uk it will be my forth trip.

Dave
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most states that I have played in will require a salvage tag to claim road kill deer, for any purpose. In many states that is free, just have to contact an LEO and request a tag. Smaller road kill is fair game.

Salvage tag requirement or not, many guys pick up road kill deer for baiting. You may not want to be so bold, considering repercussions for violating DNR laws while you are visiting, so I'd probably not go that route.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's not really the way most hunt them over here. Normally guys have either an electronic or mouth call that sounds like a rabbit or something similar in distress. Many also have a decoy like a tail out in front of them that twitches so that the movement gets the attention of the yote and allows them to move a tad to get a shot off when the yote stops. As far as picking up dead animals, I'd be very careful if it's one that has a set season and requires a hunting license because someone may question whether you shot it out of season instead of just picked it up off the road. Many states require that you have a permit from the local Game Warden or County Sheriff to pick up a deer that is hit on the highway.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I got a deer the other day. Called the Police and got a salvage tag from the animal control agent.

I didn't even need the tag, as long as you call it in and get permission thats all that is typically required.

Going to go in front of my trail camera to see if I can get somewhat of an idea of how many yotes are in my area.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here you can notify a state police officer or a warden.. In a lot of cases the game warden will just give you an ok as long as he knows what area you are setting up in..
Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Spike

Thanks all that replied.
I think I will get decoy sooner spend hours waiting for Coyote than hours in CELL somewhere waiting for legal aid!!!
And i do not need those rubber gloves..
Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another down side to Hunting over Bait/Carcass is that The Coyotes and other Predators can come in at any time or wait until dark and come in unseen or at late hours or the night where You would have to watch over the Bait for an awful long time?

As TopGun mentioned....mouth calls or a reasonably priced Electronic Caller and a decoy and a Feather Distractor would benefit You much more.Enjoy Your stay here and I hope Your successful Hunting here in the USA!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

In MT you can hunt over naturally killed animals. If you move them it's considered baiting. You have to call a sheriff to get a salvage tag for road killed deer. But once again if you place it out for the purposes to hunt over it is illegal. Hope this answers your question as regards to MT.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Spike

If you are going to bait I would suggest using chicken but here in Indiana they have such a wide variety of readily available food that baiting takes days to get their attention. Calling works best hear or trapping. I prefer not to trap to many pets getting snagged or snaring other wildlife that you have to report to dnr.

Have a safe and happy hunting trip!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Spike

When we get a deer, we put the gut piles in certain locations so that we can shoot coyote off of them. As for picking up roadkill, call your state's game warden and ask. In Michigan the permit that is issued by law enforcement states that it is only for deer and bear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.