Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Crow Hunting

Old 12-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Crow hunting is something we do when nothing else is really in season, or we're too lazy to go call coyotes or coons. It's best done much like prairie dog hunting, sit far away, use a none-too-loud rifle, and blow up dozens of them as they repeatedly come into your decoy set. Done right, it's fish in a barrel.

As the others have mentioned, 20yrds will be your Achilles heel, they're far to wary to land that close. If you conceal yourself incredibly well, you might get lucky, get a few to land nearby, and get a shot off, but likely just one shot because they'll bust you there after.

etc. etc. etc.
Thanks for being thorough! I will try to stretch out my range with the pellet gun to 30-40 yards if I can. I'll try to get some decent winter camo for Christmas so that I can blend in with my surroundings. Crow season opens January 25th here so I will have some time to try and call them in and let them hang out to build confidence. I don't think it should be too much of a problem because I see crows sitting near the place quite often.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Noogindad
My wife says it is very "Jed Clampett" like.
Depends. Are you eating them too?? lol
Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wear some good Camo,limit Your movements...get a yourself a Crow Call also!
I have called in lots of Crows by using rodents sounds,Crow and Rabbit in Distress sounds or any Rabbit Distress sounds while mostly calling for Coyotes!

I've also used a FoxPro Rabbit Decoy,and a Feather Distractor to draw in Predators and had many Crows come in tho I was calling for Coyotes,Bobcats or Foxes!A few Crow Decoys would probably help draw in Live Crows also!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Try an owl devote and crow and owl fight sounds. My dad has a tape of an owl and crow fight. The sky turns black, the best sound is a crippled crow. Seen a crow caught by the foot in a trap while deer hunting on time. The sounds he made brought in the others.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

CUTSLSASH:

I've hunted crows often over the years. I am a shotgun fan; a 12-gauge with a 3 or 3 1/2-inch load will do nicely on them.

They are hard to pattern or predict.

It seems like you only get one chance, after which they leave the area.

But I LOVE huntin' 'em.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

3 or 3 1/2 " shells on crows? All I use is low brass 12 ga. 6 shot works fine. Most of my crow hunting is done with rifles will groundhog hunting now, so I use my rifle. Haven't just crow hunted in a couple of years. Used to all. The time with my dad when I was younger. We used 12ga. Pumps with low brass 6 shot worked great.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Murdy
Depends. Are you eating them too?? lol
HA! Too funny! No we are NOT eating them.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grawlix
CUTSLSASH:

I've hunted crows often over the years. I am a shotgun fan; a 12-gauge with a 3 or 3 1/2-inch load will do nicely on them.

But I LOVE huntin' 'em.
3 or 3-1/2"!!!! Good gawd almighty my man!!!They are crows, not teradactils!!!! All we use are 1-1/8oz trap loads with 7-1/2's and back those up with 1-1/4oz 7-1/2's. Alot more bangin with alot less headaches and sore shoulders!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-07-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Grawlix
CUTSLSASH:

But I LOVE huntin' 'em.
3 or 3.5 is wayyy overkill. lol
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Noogindad
Does shooting them in my back yard from inside the house count as hunting? Although they are one of God's creatures, I hate these birds. My wife says it is very "Jed Clampett" like.
[|: )
I like to call that hunting. It's easy, sit in the house, watch tv, and when you see a crow in the yard, open the door and introduce it to the 12 gauge.