HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Air pistol hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/387494-air-pistol-hunting.html)

Jurassic Park 11-25-2013 02:29 AM

Air pistol hunting

Hello everybody,

Im planing to buy Umarex Beretta 92FS for plinking,but i want to ask you theoretical question.
Could 92FS kill pigeon from 10-15 yards with single shot?
It shoots 405 FPS with 7,87 grn led pellets.

flags 11-25-2013 05:11 AM

Don't know. But I used to pop the occasional Blue Grouse with a Crosman pistol in my youth. At 20 ft or so it sent them flopping. I ate many a meal of fried grouse breast in my native CO.

Jurassic Park 11-25-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4101366)
Don't know. But I used to pop the occasional Blue Grouse with a Crosman pistol in my youth. At 20 ft or so it sent them flopping. I ate many a meal of fried grouse breast in my native CO.

Thanks for info man!
Do you perhaps remember what model of gun you had?

flags 11-25-2013 07:41 AM

I think it was a Model 1377 but I'm not completely sure. It was one of those that you could pump up. I think it shot both BBs and .177 pellets but, I only used pellets for the grouse. Matter of fact I don't remember ever shooting a BB out of it. With 10 or 12 pumps it would take grouse easily. All I ever took were head shots so I can't answer to how a body shot would have been. But head shots were deadly.

Sosalty 11-25-2013 10:28 AM

Respect Our Critters

Lots of caveats built into your question. For our purposes, can our pistol and shooter deliver the shot? Then will a .177 pellet penatrate a pigeon' s skull up to 15yds? Sub <8gr pellets 2-3ft/lbs energy, which likely won't knock 'em out or penatrate. I shot rats, some big, with a CO2 .177 pistol a few evenings and think they'd be similiar. Perfectly placed, direct not glancing angled, head shots were consistent kills inside 5yds. (I had a cheap trigger and couldn't place shots any further.) Some ran off.

Can you kill a pigeon out to 15yds? Can you hit a spot the size of your fingernail time and time again within 1 or 2, at the most 3 sec.s to setup and aim? (unless your slipping into the barn and getting 'em at night) Maybe can kill one, but guessing you'd see more fly away with a bad headache or die painfully elsewhere.

These questions get asked alot, so people have a need to know. If you try this shot, you'd do a good service by getting back with a post as to what you learned. Folks reading this forum could then get an idea of what low power guns can deliver in the way of humane kills on small critters.

Nomercy448 11-25-2013 11:55 AM

Last time you asked this same question

Been there, discussed this a few months ago. If you want it, buy it, but it's not a proper hunting pistol.

OhioNovice 11-26-2013 02:21 PM

Seriously, this again?

Freerorbust 11-26-2013 02:44 PM

self defense? How old are you?