Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Brand new to hunting so many ????

Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Spike

Thanks for the imput. Ill pick up a gerber folding on to start with and move on from there.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gerber Fixed Blade Gut Hook on sale at Midwayusa.com

$20 retail, $16 right now. I'd consider this my ideal length and blade design for fur handling. Not everyone loves chromoly blades, since they take an edge differently than a stainless edge, but for $16, buy 3 of them, then you can skin coons off a trapline for hours on end without sharpening, and you'll never need another set for years to come.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just for skinning I like these;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855...-handle-orange

NoMercy a lot of good info. as always !!!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

I see you have a .22, have you done any small game hunting to get you started on hunting? Try some squirrel or rabbit hunting. Or even some bird hunting. Should be easy to find on public ground. A lot of fun and good to get you started. Taste great too, I would never process and eat a dog btw. But your choice.

Good luck
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Spike

No I have looked into hunting squirrel or rabbit but I have eaten them. Ill probably look into it while figuring out my coyote hunting. I have eaten and enjoyed lots of strange food so I am trying coyote once just to see. Hopefully I will finally meet up with some coyote hunters this weekend.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Face Palm....

Are you F'ing serious? Start your own thread... This wasn't the place to come beg for votes...

Edit note--Right on point. That member has been permabanned and all 13 of her posts soliciting votes for her husband on another website have been deleted.
CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-27-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

You are doing it right, I have to say. You've done a lot of research and tapped into a good resource here.

I can't help much, but I'll say what I can:

I am in Oklahoma, not Illinois, so I can't tell you any specific locations. But I'll bet dollars to doughnuts you've got farmers or ranchers in Illinois who would be tickled pink to let you have the chance to whack 'yotes on their land. Coyotes do NOT help livestock. So ask the guys with the livestock.

I have no idea what a habitat stamp is.

You, and our Brethren here on this board are pretty amazing sportsmen. I commend you all. I've never done anything more with a freakin' ugly, useless, livestock-stealing, game-murdering 'yote than urinate in the exit wound, curse at it, and leave it lay.

You're probably going to have to get license for each State.

I would if you were here or if I was there! I've killed more coyotes while deer and turkey hunting than just hunting the 'yotes themselves - - buy you can sure hunt them themselves. And it's fun

You are on the right track! Learn, and HAVE FUN
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wannahuntit
No I have looked into hunting squirrel or rabbit but I have eaten them. Ill probably look into it while figuring out my coyote hunting. I have eaten and enjoyed lots of strange food so I am trying coyote once just to see. Hopefully I will finally meet up with some coyote hunters this weekend.
Just go out to your local WMA one morning with your 22 and walk slowly for a about 20 yards then sit, wait about 10 min if you don't see any walk another 20-30 yards then sit. You'll kill some squirrels. And if it's in season shoot some rabbits too. My favorite tasting game.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about this, check out predatormastersforum.com

Some great guys and info there for coyote hunting, I'm sure you'll find someone near your area to hunt with there.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php
Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ChasinTail
Oh yeah I completely forgot about this, check out predatormastersforum.com

Some great guys and info there for coyote hunting, I'm sure you'll find someone near your area to hunt with there.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php
If you go over to Predator Masters, Kelvars, RedJaw, and Jeff V are 3 guys you might send a message to, they're in Illinois. RedJaw lives in Chicago and hunts land that his church owns (worth the time to check out his cartoon website too, pretty entertaining stuff), Kelvars is a few hours west of you, and hunts private land a buddy has permission on.

If you search "Illinois hunting" in the search function, you'll find a few posts, some dating back a few years (think I saw one from 2005 there).

If you do join over there, lemme know what user name you pick out, so I can keep an eye out for you. I spend even more time over there than I do here.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Spike

I have the same name at predatormaster but I havent written anything yet. Just been using it for research. I have had to slip hunting into the back burner for a bit due to change of jobs. But I will be full bore again in a couple weeks when I get use to my schedule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.