Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Anybody carry a pellet gun while deer hunting? >

Anybody carry a pellet gun while deer hunting?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anybody carry a pellet gun while deer hunting?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Seems dumb to me.

Prime example: 160" buck 50yrds away out of sight in the brush, headed your way, take a shot on a 2lb squirrel, it flops like a fish on the dry leaves, scares off your unseen buck.

Nobody buys a tag for a squirrel, and in most states, you can hunt squirrel a LOT longer during a year than deer. Get your priorities in line. You're out hunting deer, hunt deer. If you'd rather hunt squirrels and deer hunting is getting in the way of your squirrel hunting, then why carry the deer rifle at all, just go hunt squirrels.
agree completely.
i spend a ton of time looking for a 200 inch deer, why would i piss around with a pellet gun in my efforts to remain scent, sight and sound free.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the goal is to just be out hunting: deer , turkey, squirrel, rabbit, whatever. Most states have laws making it difficult to combine hunts: Big game/small game. However if it's legal, and that's what you want to do, go for it! I can relate.
-Jake
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Seems dumb to me.

Prime example: 160" buck 50yrds away out of sight in the brush, headed your way, take a shot on a 2lb squirrel, it flops like a fish on the dry leaves, scares off your unseen buck.

Nobody buys a tag for a squirrel, and in most states, you can hunt squirrel a LOT longer during a year than deer. Get your priorities in line. You're out hunting deer, hunt deer. If you'd rather hunt squirrels and deer hunting is getting in the way of your squirrel hunting, then why carry the deer rifle at all, just go hunt squirrels.
Ditto to what He said, I am learning to be stealthy, and not hunt any other animal but a deer when I am hunting.

If you try to get a squirrel during a deer hunt, You are going to give your self away. Giving your self away is messing with Sasquatch BAD!!!

I do carry my 9mm with me while hunting on my private property just incase I have to give a warning shot to a bob cat or something along though lines which I hope works if I ever need too.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not deer hunting, but I have been known to take one elk hunting. One of the areas I hunt for cow elk in the late season is loaded with cottontails. I've been known to spend an afternoon popping bunnies with a pellet rifle. Additionally, one of the areas I hunt bull elk in during the early seasons has a lot of blue grouse. Same story as the bunnies, I'll use a pellet rifle to take some grouse.

The rifle I take is an RWS Model 36 Diana model in .177. It is very accurate, doesn't make much noise when shot and has enough power to take rabbits cleanly. But, I do not carry a pellet gun when I'm actually after elk. The rifle stays in camp until I want to play with it. All this happens in CO and it is totally legal to take both rabbits and grouse with a pellet gun as long as their seasons are also open.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Seems dumb to me.

I agree with you on that. When I'm deer hunting I'm serious about it and stay as still and quiet as possible. Just wondering if anybody actually did this. Thanks for you're opinion though.

I was mainly thinking about the times when a squirrel notices you and stops in a tree 5 feet in front of you and barks his head off scaring that everything around.

Last edited by ChasinTail; 11-19-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Spike

We drift the rivers when moose/caribou hunting and always carry a couple of pellet guns to pick off the grouse that come to the rivers edge for gravel and water. Makes a great camp dinner that evening!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Banned

Why would you shoot squirrels in the stand. That makes no sense. There's a reason it's called DEER season
Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Get the squirrels out before deer season
Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Sometimes the goal is to just be out hunting: deer , turkey, squirrel, rabbit, whatever. Most states have laws making it difficult to combine hunts: Big game/small game. However if it's legal, and that's what you want to do, go for it! I can relate.
-Jake
Yup. Illegal here in Ohio. Can only have one "hunting implement" at a time.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Spike

I like to take my AR-7 .22 rifle with me. Compacts to fit right in my pack. I only shoot squirrels for the first hour I'm out there though so I don't scare prime time deer.